Trail Food and Snack Super Deals in San Jose California

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Trail Food and Snack Super Deals in San Jose California

Post by Hetchy »

Hello All, :)
Boy, did I discover the motherlode of all deals in downtown San Jose. The Name of the place is Premier Mercantile (No website.. don't bother). The owner is Jim Pacelli, a super nice character. The address is 199 Martha street San Jose Ca.(Don't expect a sign out front) His Phone number is (408) 396-6878.
It is best to go there in person but for those out of the area you might call him and find out if he is willing to ship to you.
Now the particulars:
What he has are recently out of date(few) or nearly out of date(mostly) food stuffs recovered from everywhere.. supermarkets, mini markets etc.
ALL the stuff is factoy packaged in case lots. All are main stream brand names and he sells them at astoundingly low prices.
Here is what I got for $20:
4 -Cases of Luna Bars (60 bars!)
12 -packages of Mothers English Tea cookies(that eight 1.9 oz packs!)
1 -case of Tigers Milk Bars (12 bars)
6 -2.8 oz packages of Planters nuts assorted flavors
2 - boxes of angel hair spaghetti noodles
2 - 5.3 oz packages of Mothers Chocolate Vanilla creme cookies
3 -5 oz bags of Bear Naked granola
1 -pint sized jar of clear hand sanitizer
1 -case of Nabisco Nutter Butter Peanut butter cookies(12 packs)

All this for $20 bucks.. no kidding!
He had much.. much.. more. And some large cases of Planters Trail mix with the m&m's that I might have to aquire a few of on Tuesday(Monday is a holiday)! Jim says he is always getting in different stuff and I have only scratched the surface here. There was pemmican beef jerky, Pop Tarts, red vines Liqorice(spelling?), Potato Buds, and much more. Prices were all like: 1 dollar for two or two bucks for three packages etc.
He is open weekdays and takes a lunch break from 12-1:30 and don't expect safeway here.. think: "hole in the wall warehouse". In fact his entire shop is in just the corner of an empty warehouse! But what a sweet deal for this backpacker and such fortuitous timing.. I think the trail gods are smiling on me!.
Hey If you don't mind the dates being a little close to or just past the "best use" date, this could be for you. Besides does any of this type of stuff really go bad?
Anyway, I hope some of you can benefit from it too. Hetchy
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.