Places to stop along the way...

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Places to stop along the way...

Post by balzaccom »

Most of you know that we have a little cabin up above Sonora, so we drive up that way every couple of weeks--it's also the main road to Yosemite from the Bay Area. And we have been eating at Garcia's between Ripon and Escalon pretty regularly now. It's far and above our favorite along this road. If you need help finding it, it's behind the convenience store right where French Camp Road meets Highway 120/108.

Great home-cooked Mexican food, with amazing prices and really friendly people. We always stop here if it's open...and then grab some fruit from the nice kids at the produce stand at Wagner Road just a hundred yards later, for $0.90 a pound. A perfect lunch on the road...and the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Do we need a thread for these? Did I already miss it?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Places to stop along the way...

Post by BardoPond »

For Emigrant Wilderness trips, there is a classic brunch spot in Twain Harte called Sportsman. On a late November trip a couple of years back (escaping unhealthy smoke in the Bay Area) we stopped there on our way out. With our stomachs full, we decided to turn back for one last adventure, and ended up at a stunning, frozen Blue Canyon Lake.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, we've totally done this thread before. This is probably the best thread, since it yielded this map.

Always good to bring the subject back up though. I always discover new places. Still a huge fan of Alicia's Sugar Shack, but I usually just find myself at Chick-fil-A at the end of the day.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:04 pm Yeah, we've totally done this thread before. This is probably the best thread, since it yielded this map.

Always good to bring the subject back up though. I always discover new places. Still a huge fan of Alicia's Sugar Shack, but I usually just find myself at Chick-fil-A at the end of the day.
I love that thread, being the foodie I am and how epic the first real meal is coming out. Thanks for posting.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix