Long Distance Backpacking - what's for lunch?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Long Distance Backpacking - what's for lunch?

Post by rlown »

could cook the red onions first. Guessing you have to break out the stove for the spaghetti anyway.
otherwise interesting combo.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Tasty-looking burrito ingredients. But are you implying that you bring fresh-looking peas and ... arugula (?) on your trips ?
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

No, this was something I ate at home. Leftovers from the previous night often end up in a tortilla. On trips I do sometimes take a small red onion and some arugula to add to salami or tuna with condiments. If it's not too hot out they can last for a number of days.

Spaghetti looks weird in a tortilla but it was delicious. Except for the shrimp it would be possible to do that in the backcountry, not that I would. But rehydrated dried peas, which I almost always carry and add to dinners, look just like that.
zwoij
Topix Acquainted

Post by zwoij »

Instant hummus is brilliant. You can buy it from the bulk section at Winco. Mix the powder with water and put it on a tortilla of course (the multigrain tortillas from Winco fit perfectly at the bottom of the bear canister). Add a little cotija cheese to the hummus if you've got it. And olive oil if you're trying to up the calories.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

freestone wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:28 pm
longri wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:42 pm
So far, in my life, I have yet to find a food that isn't improved by putting it in a tortilla.
So very true. Not a day goes by that I don’t do a burrito.

For flour tortillas, I cut them down to the diameter that fits my Trangia mini lid and also in a zip bag then put the trimmings in another baggie to nibble on at lunch. No one mentioned corn tortilla chips, those are a favorite lunch food for me too, salty, oily, and good in almost any kind of backpacking dinner. I crunch them down in the baggie to pack them in tight. Even when they are crumbs, they can be an excellent food... simple ingredients that’s high in calories.
My favorite snack/meal last year was a fritos burrito
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Rockyroad wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:45 am
freestone wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:28 pm
longri wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:42 pm
So far, in my life, I have yet to find a food that isn't improved by putting it in a tortilla.
So very true. Not a day goes by that I don’t do a burrito.

For flour tortillas, I cut them down to the diameter that fits my Trangia mini lid and also in a zip bag then put the trimmings in another baggie to nibble on at lunch. No one mentioned corn tortilla chips, those are a favorite lunch food for me too, salty, oily, and good in almost any kind of backpacking dinner. I crunch them down in the baggie to pack them in tight. Even when they are crumbs, they can be an excellent food... simple ingredients that’s high in calories.
My favorite snack/meal last year was a fritos burrito
On a Guerrero flour tortilla no less, I could recognize that packaging a mile away! They are the best, IMHO.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Fritos burrito! I thought my concoctions were odd but clearly I've just barely scratched the surface.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

zwoij wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 pm Instant hummus is brilliant. You can buy it from the bulk section at Winco.

I haven't had instant hummus that I thought was all that realistic in its flavor. The ones I've tried were too lemony and lacking in the garlic and tahini punch that real hummus has. I don't know if it's the formulation or the dehydrating process but it's always left me wishing for something better. I stopped carrying it on trips. I've considered dehydrating some homemade hummus but haven't gotten around to trying that yet.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I suspect part of the problem with dry hummus is that it needs more olive oil. Perhaps bring olive oil and a few fresh garlic cloves (they are light weight) and add to the hummus. Same with the dry peanut butter. Hydrate with a mix of olive oil and water. The supposed "advantage" of the dry form of peanut butter is low fat- not exactly what we want when backpacking.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

If you want a lunch that feels like a full meal---but without cooking---try pre-cooked Indian entrees. You can rip open the foil pack and eat with a spoon. There are several brands: Trader Joe's, Tasty Bite, and Kitchens of India to name a few. It seems most grocery stores stock something like this. My favorite meals are madras lentils and punjab choley. They typically weigh about 10 ounces each, which may seem a bit heavy, but I think it's worth it for the nutrition, protein, and flavor. I've used these pre-cooked entrees extensively during my thru-hikes on the PCT and CDT.

You can upgrade by mixing-in Fritos for extra crunch (don't judge me!), and/or serve with a flour tortilla.

Some Examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Indi ... B009D672FI
https://www.instacart.com/whole-foods/p ... hana-10-oz