Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Food allergy - Nausea on the trail - Must Read!

Post by bobby49 »

How do you know that the problem is not the oatmeal?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

sulfites?
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Agreed. Sulfites.
You should try your backpacking food at home first to see if you have issues.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The article indicates that those symptoms would occur in fresh fruit (in fact no mention of dried fruit at all). So if it only occurs in dry fruit you eat I doubt you have that "syndrome". Dried fruit can be over eaten. It swells in your stomach and that may cause the pain and gas. I will get the same if I over eat. No problem with a few chunks in my oatmeal. Carefully and slowly chewing also helps. Some people are sensitive to sulfates. Could also be the water.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I have issues with sulfites IE sulfured dried fruit. Causes my throat to swell but not dangerously. But no stomach upset or bloat.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

If you purchase commercially dehydrated fruit, you will likely run into sulfites. However, if you dehydrate your own fruit, you can completely eliminate sulfites or any other preservatives. Note that the dehydrated appearance won't be nice.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ashery »

austex wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:52 pm I have issues with sulfites IE sulfured dried fruit. Causes my throat to swell but not dangerously. But no stomach upset or bloat.
I'm sensitive to sulfites as well with symptoms identical to yours, so I'm weary of putting blame there. That said, it's pretty easy to find dried fruits without sulfites. Trader Joe's has a pretty solid selection and any dried fruit you see labeled as organic won't have any.

Russ really has the best advice: Experiment with the foods that are causing issues at home. Try the oatmeal and dried fruit combo to see if you react at home at all. If you do, try just the oatmeal, then the next day try just the dried fruit. If, say, the dried apples causes issues, try some fresh apples. Etc.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rightstar76 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:31 am After eating dried apples in my oatmeal, I sometimes feel nauseous....

Spring Is Coming And It Could Make Your Stomach Hurt
https://princetonlongevitycenter.com/allergies/
If the offending food is not destroyed by acid once it reaches the stomach there is a good chance that there will be more symptoms from histamine release lower in the intestinal tract. Indigestion, cramping, vomiting and diarrhea can all happen soon after eating foods that cross-react with your pollen allergy.

The offending proteins are deactivated by heat. While dehydrated fruit might have been heated sufficiently during dehydration to prevent this problem, cooked dehydrated fruit should be fine.

I don't know what the problem is but it seems straightforward to isolate. For me just thinking about oatmeal makes me nauseated.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I prefer Malt o Meal.