Favorite Electrolyte Replacement?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
el marinero
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Favorite Electrolyte Replacement?

Post by el marinero »

I found Mortons “Lite Salt” in the grocery store. It claims to have 50% less sodium than table salt. Sodium chloride is the first ingredient, but it also includes potassium chloride (2nd ingredient), calcium silicate (3rd) and magnesium carbonate (4th).

I don’t know how balanced an electrolyte replacement it is, but it’s an easy way to add sodium and potassium. A quarter teaspoons serving contains 290 mg sodium and 350 mg potassium.
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

el marinero wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:41 am I found Mortons “Lite Salt” in the grocery store. It claims to have 50% less sodium than table salt. Sodium chloride is the first ingredient, but it also includes potassium chloride (2nd ingredient), calcium silicate (3rd) and magnesium carbonate (4th).

I don’t know how balanced an electrolyte replacement it is, but it’s an easy way to add sodium and potassium. A quarter teaspoons serving contains 290 mg sodium and 350 mg potassium.
Well that's a pretty easy premix then. Just add to lemonade powder for flavor. Good find!

I think I will gauge the % of salt into the mix at least by compareing to one liter of Gatorade or of Pedialyte.

(Fairly similar %, though Pedialyte is of course more salt and less sugar. I had to chug 8-12 liters a day for two days in July when I had some explosive etc. after a trip in the Canadian Rockies.)
Shaggy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Shaggy »

Don't think I saw Propel listed here but I always carry a dozen or so single-serving containers of Propel with me (in a variety of flavors) - all the electrolytes (more in fact IIRC) of a Gatorade without the 35+ grams of sugar.
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

I usually pack Nuun or the GU tabs, but have grown tired of the taste. This season, I've tried Salt Stick caps that came highly recommended and I have been happy with the performance.