Food Options - Independence

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
ryanjl10
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Food Options - Independence

Post by ryanjl10 »

Hello,

While doing a 185 mile trip, I'll be heading into Independence to pick up a resupply. Two questions:
  • What's your favorite spot in town for an off-trail meal?
  • Are there any stores to purchase food and fuel?
Thanks for your help!

Ryan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Food Options - Independence

Post by maverick »

Ryan,

"Fork in the Wild "restaurant is pretty decent, as is "Jalisco Tacos". Ain't much besides some convenience/gas station stores, Lone Pine and Bishop have much wider selection.
Have your food sent to the Post Office in Independence, this way you can eat the food you like.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ryanjl10
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ryanjl10 »

Hi Maverick - thanks so much for the info! I'll be ready for some non-trail food when I get there. I'll be staying at the Independence Inn and the owner, Jim, will hold a resupply for me. Was just curious if case I'm craving something "new." Also curious about if I could pick up a new fuel canister but I think I'll just carry an extra one just in case. Thanks again!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Why not send a canister with your resupply? You can ship within the US:
Canister Fuels like butane, isobutane, and propane, are all fuels are characterized by the US Postal Service (USPS) as class 2 flammable gases. Hikers may ship up to 33.8oz (1L) of canister fuel in metal receptacles when properly packaged using the USPS Packaging Instruction 2A from USPS Publication 52. Canister fuel cannot be shipped via air or international mail and must be shipped using Parcel Select, Standard Mail, or Standard Post.
Or you could just purchase one thru Amazon and have it shipped to the Inn. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org