Nuts

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Nuts

Post by gary c. »

I'm always in objection to wasabi peas!!! My wife loves them but I sure hate following her up the trail afterwards.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Smokehouse Almonds. And shelled pistachios.

John
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

This year, we're adding soy/wasabi almonds to our B mix for nuts, which also includes "matcha green tea honey roasted" mixed nuts. The A mix uses smokehouse almonds, mixed with honey roasted cashews and standard mixed nuts.

Spice, is the spice of life. Variety is great, too.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Calorie dense nuts are what allows me to pack in the smallest Bearikade (Scout) food for a nine day trip, or for three people, food for a four a day trip. Bearikade Expedition fits food for a sixteen day trip.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Like Gary C Honey Roasted peanuts for me. But I also like to blend them with some wasabi peas.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Almonds (toasted, salted) and usually macadamias go on all of my trips. I also will bring pine nuts on some hikes. I've been allergic to peanuts and peanut butter my entire life, so I can't bring those.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I only bring cashews, unsalted.