plums

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

plums

Post by bobby49 »

Some of you may face the same problem that I have here with ripe Santa Rosa plums. They've all ripened within the last ten days, so I was forced to pick like mad. Normally that ends up as plum jam. However, a glass jar of plum jam isn't the sort of thing that a backpacker wants to carry. So, I spread some of the sweetened plum puree out on my food dehydrator and made plum jerky. That is just the sort of snack that I crave when out on the trail. Alternatively, I cut each plum into eight chunks and throw those on the dehydrator. Once they get really hot and the plum juice starts to come to the surface, I sprinkle a little sugar to make a plum glaze. When moderately dry, those go into a zip lock bag, and those also make good snacks for the trail. I guess you could say that I was plum crazy.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: plums

Post by oldhikerQ »

Sounds good to me.
i'm also a fan of plums, but have never taken any backpacking. Food for thought.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost