gotoob for cooking liquids?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

gotoob for cooking liquids?

Post by Satchel Buddah »

hi all,
been using small lab type nalgene bottles for olive oil/white wine/lemon juice and other ingredients so far,
I saw these yesterday and was wondering if anyone has been using them for cooking liquids:

https://www.rei.com/product/131774/huma ... le-6-fl-oz

The contained volume to weight ratio is not awesome but it looks nice for oils where you can squeeze what you need without getting oil everywhere...
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: gotoob for cooking liquids?

Post by longri »

I think those are too heavy and also kind of expensive. For small amounts of liquid (3-4oz) I buy those little squeeze packages of baby food, clean out the contents, and then trim the plastic cap. They cost $2-3 each, weigh very little, and roll up to a small size when empty. The only downside is the opening is narrow so you need a funnel or a steady hand to fill them. I use one of those for sunscreen too.

For a bit larger amount I buy bottled water, like Crystal Geyser, in the tiniest size (8oz). They are prefect for cooking oil or alcoholic spirits (since they are PET plastic). Again, cheap and very lightweight. To save a bit of space you can partially crush them after filling to whatever level you want. I usually reuse them but when space is at a premium I crush them when empty and recycle them later.

For larger amounts I'll use a coke bottle instead of the water bottles since the plastic is a bit thicker. On a trip earlier this year I was eating spaghetti with cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper every night for about two weeks. I was also popping popcorn in oil. So I had 500ml coke bottle mostly full of oil. The bottle itself weighed about 25g, one third of what one of those GoToob bottles weighs.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Satchel Buddah »

thank you sounds like wisdom!

I do stare at these tiny water bottles once in a while but I never buy them because they rate pretty high on the evil meter... Need to steal them from my evil doer friends :)
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Ha! I know what you mean. I felt weird buying them too, especially because they tend to come in packs of 12 or 24 or something like that. I had to buy a case of them. They are sort of evil in how/why they are used for glorified tap water, but only in aggregate. The overuse and misuse of plastic of many forms is the real problem. In that sense, a bottle is a bottle.