Spam or Cliff bars?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Spam or Cliff bars?

Post by mrphil »

giantbrookie wrote:....Apparently Clif Bars don't agree with raccoons.
We had one time that this marmot wouldn't leave us alone over a long lunch break. We got a little tired of him getting pushy and decided to try to appease him with what we thought would be a little treat of a few bite-sized chunks of our Clif bars. He walked up, sniffed it, walked away and began munching a pinecone instead. Come on, they happily lick lichen off rocks. Doesn't say much for Clif bars.
Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Eiprahs »

I haven't had Spam in ages. Not sure why, since it was a staple of family camping trips in the 60's.
Spam, Yeahhh! 1960's Car Camping Classics. Spam (fried crispy) Lettuce and Tomato Sandwiches, Eggs scrambled with diced spam, Spam with mashed potatos or cheesy rice, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with fried diced Spam mixed in. It wasn't bad. And no campground reservations, anti-bear food lockers, or trail permits were required. Those were the days, my friends. . . . .

Clif Bars. Ahhhh, No. When doing the JMT opened the hiker food barrel at VVR. Item on top was a 1 gallon zip lock completely filled with unwrapped Clif Bars. Kinda says it all. I dropped in my contributions and closed the lid without exploring.
Dave
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Not a big fan of spam, too salty and not quite the right texture; however, I would probably choose it over Cliff bars depending on what else I had in my pack. When I went on multi-day fishing trips with my grandfather where we would drive to an out of the way area where we would be unlikely to run into anyone and then base camp, he would bring a Dak chopped ham. Much better than spam as it wasn't "spiced" and had a much better texture as well.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

AlmostThere wrote:Hate is too much waste of energy
Oh, how we all wish that were true.

John