HST Community      backpacker breakfast

backpacker breakfast | High Sierra Topix  

backpacker breakfast

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).

Re: backpacker breakfast

Postby fishmonger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:06 pm

My first breakfast on the trail consists of concentrated carbs in a format I like to eat. When possible, I just vacuum seal my favorite cookies and bring a batch, or for resupply later in a long hike, I use factory sealed food like Belvita biscuits

add plenty of coffee, creamer, vitamins and a vanilla protein shake before heading out and I am all set for 2 hours (that 4 hours thing on the box cannot be trusted ;-))

fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby bobby49 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:31 pm

Peanut powder was mentioned just a few days ago. I located some in a store.

So, tell me again. I guess this is a powder to be added to a hot breakfast or cold milk. I guess it is supposed to have the protein of peanut butter, but without the fat. Some people would argue that they want the fat calories, but not everybody feels that way.
bobby49
Topix Regular

Postby gary c. » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:59 am

bobby49 wrote:Peanut powder was mentioned just a few days ago. I located some in a store.

So, tell me again. I guess this is a powder to be added to a hot breakfast or cold milk. I guess it is supposed to have the protein of peanut butter, but without the fat. Some people would argue that they want the fat calories, but not everybody feels that way.

I mostly just add it to my instant oatmeal but I have a friend that puts it in all kinds stuff. I would prefer to have the extra calories from the oil but I don't like to carry a 1.5oz package per day just for my oatmeal. I can carry one 2oz Ziploc of the powdered variety that will last most of the week.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Experience: N/A

Postby RSC » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:56 am

This doesn't address the original question, but my wife and I go no-cook, and for breakfast we have oatmeal with added dried fruit and nuts (Bircher muesli I guess). We add water and leave it to soak overnight in a covered bowl in the bear canister. Then in the morning we have it with powdered whole milk (Peak).
RSC
Topix Novice

Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Postby vandman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:20 pm

3 cups of strong coffee mixed with hot chocolate, and premixed honey and natural peanut butter generously smeared on a couple of Wasa multigrain crackers. This keeps me going until lunch.
vandman
Topix Regular

Previous

Return to Backcountry Food Topix