Meal Fixers

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Meal Fixers

Post by edhyatt »

Never heard of Tajin before; its not in UK shops as far as I know....but is on Amazon.

Worth trying....why so special ?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

From Wiki:

Tajín (styled TAJÍN) is a Mexican company that produces several varieties of condiment, most consisting primarily of chile peppers, lime, and salt.

The company's most popular product is a seasoning powder (called salsa en polvo in Spanish) consisting of chile peppers, salt, and dehydrated lime juice. The powder is tangy and spicy and is used to enhance the flavor of fruits and vegetables. The seasoning is widely available in Mexico and is commonly used as a condiment on the tables of many Mexican restaurants, to season mango and melon, and as a seasoning in micheladas, a beer cocktail.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Guys...I can read :D

I was hoping for some real-world feedback (sic) O:)
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

It's the spicy/sweet thing that makes it so good. Especially the slight citrus on seafood (trout).
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

...thanks, sounds good. Might invest...
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I put hot sauce on just about any dinner. My favorites are Tapatio and Cholula. Both come in packets. And if I can find it... Lodgepole has had these in the past are the Salsa Del Sol packets... the flavor in those is incredible. Rogue gave me a huge gallon ziplock bag full of hot sauce packets from taco bell and del taco and I"ve been using those for years as well. I love it in Mac & Cheese and Taco Rice especially.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;