Dark Chocolate is Good For You

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dark Chocolate is Good For You

Post by maverick »

Well, have we been bamboozled by large companies again, guess if you have a lot of money, you could make a Krispy Kreme doughnut a health food, well maybe. :(

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... rt-disease
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Dark Chocolate is Good For You

Post by oldhikerQ »

Wow.
Almost 5 oz (750 calories) of dark chocolate needed to provide a "heart healthy" dose (600-750 mg) of flavanols.
Just wow.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

To be bamboozled means you fell for it.
I doubt that you did, Maverick.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Wait, chocolate isn't good for you? :tear:
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

To look at it another way, 750 calories for about 5 oz of dark chocolate is a pretty good source of calories for a given weight. So as a backpack food maybe it is not that bad. Now put that into a dark chocolate covered almond, and looks to me like a great backpack food. Personally I am not looking for lower calories when I selected backpack food. Biggest problem is that most chocolate gets too warm in a bear can and will melt into a mess. That is why I avoid chocolate covered trail bars.

I will still take my individually wrapped squares of dark chocolate as my reward for a good day's walk.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Wandering Daisy,
I've gotten pretty fond of dark chocolate and nuts too. I've been buying Kind bars the last couple years and really enjoying them. I recently tried these "Nut Bars" from Costco and they are really good. The only down side is that they only come in one variety instead of the different ones you can get with the Kind bars. Obviously a Kind Bar nock-off right down to the packaging. The cool thing is that they are less than half the price of the Kind bars, $19.79 for 30 bars.
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu ... 21570.html

Notice that they do not call it a dark chocolate but a cocoa drizzle and sea salt. While I haven't had them anyplace really hot I did carry them quite a bit this fall without any signs of melting.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I refer to it as "Vitamin C" and consider it a necessity - if not for life then at least for happiness. But 5oz at a time is a bit much. The power of the Dark Side is such that only small amounts are needed - as long as it is dark enough.