Current Freeze Dried Meal Favorites

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Current Freeze Dried Meal Favorites

Post by rlown »

Unfortunately, MH is no longer selling the Tetrazzini except in MCW (military) format. Perhaps you can still find it at a few vendors.

https://shop.kellystorehouse.online/Detail_i1287747

actually very tasty..
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

MH Chili Mac is hard to beat. But recently my favorite has been a pot of ramen noodles followed by mashed potatoes. Using the broth from the ramen also adds a little more flavor. At least for me it's a good change from choking down pre-made dehydrated meals.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

rlown wrote:As I fish (and catch), I take reasonable sides which are the veggies like green beans, or rice, but I prefer potatoes.
MH Lasagna and meat sauce got two of us sick, so It isn't on my list.
Interesting. MH Lasagne was a favorite of mine until a trip in 1997 when I enjoyed it while eating but then had some GI tract issues that were among the worst I've ever experienced. It is possible that I was already coming down with some sort of ailment, but the air pollution generated that evening convinced me to never purchase that again. From the next morning onward for the next 3 days I was pretty ill.

The only freeze dried food that I've routinely taken on trips since 1997 has been freeze dried veggies to balance out meals up there. I usually have a main course of fish with various sides that may include pasta and rice dishes. Simple staples such as Top Ramen and Mac 'n Cheese have also been done on many of my trips. It is true that this requires using more fuel, but find I like these choices better than freeze dried.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Can't beat the MH Biscuits and Gravy either, very tasty.

John
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It would be interesting if everyone were to also add the nutritional information and top 3-4 ingredients to their favorites. Sorry, but no matter how good, I cannot imagine biscuits and gravy being sufficient nutritionally. Unless FD meals have changed since I last considered them, they really do not have that many calories per serving. The USDA has reduced the amounts of what is now labeled as a "serving", in response to the obesity epidemic. The Knorr sides I used to buy that had two servings now are labeled 2.5 and/or the current "two" servings now are smaller. I would not rely on "servings" to decide what is an adequate meal.

I do not use FD meals because 1) they are very expesive for what nutritional value you get, 2) they tend to be bulky and hard to pack in a bear can, 3) they are way to salty and spicy for my taste, 4) they are harder to digest and 5) I would rather just buy a few fd ingredients and add to my regular dry ingredients.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

One of the things that I like to bring with me is powdered peanut butter. Powdered PB has a reduced nutritional value compared to regular but I can carry a lot for little weight. 2 tablespoons has 45 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, and 5 grams of protein. I have been known to double that amount in my morning oatmeal. It helps that I love PB and can add it to most anything. Powdered PB is not as strong tasting and is easily masked by many other flavors so I sometimes even use it to thicken a dehydrated meal that is too watery.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

zacjust32 wrote:MH Chili Mac is hard to beat. But recently my favorite has been a pot of ramen noodles followed by mashed potatoes. Using the broth from the ramen also adds a little more flavor.
Yes, it is. I add paprika.

For all ramens (potatoes too) and fish, Old Bay seasoning.

For pasta dishes, if you have the room and don't mind the bit of extra weight, a tin of smoked baby oysters. For seasonings, dried oregano and basil.

Hope this helps you too Maverick (OP). It doesn't have to be bland. Spices don't weigh much, are easily packable, and can make even prepackaged meals more enjoyable.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I generally don't buy them but on a whim I bought the MH Lasagna last year and liked it. I've bought it a couple times since. It's the only freeze dried meal I've had and enjoyed in about 20 years. I tried their stroganoff, which long ago I used to like, and I just couldn't eat it despite a determined effort to force it down. It was truly repulsive.

The main problem I find is that the packaged freeze-dried meals are just way too salty. That's in addition to their less than wonderful textures and flavors. The sodium isn't a health concern for me. It's simply that the taste is way out of balance. I have the same issue with the various Knorr pasta and rice meal packages. So much salt I can't eat them without also drinking 2 liters of water. So I don't eat them.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

gary c. wrote:One of the things that I like to bring with me is powdered peanut butter. Powdered PB has a reduced nutritional value compared to regular but I can carry a lot for little weight. 2 tablespoons has 45 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, and 5 grams of protein. I have been known to double that amount in my morning oatmeal. It helps that I love PB and can add it to most anything. Powdered PB is not as strong tasting and is easily masked by many other flavors so I sometimes even use it to thicken a dehydrated meal that is too watery.
I don't understand the powdered peanut butter thing. Unless you want it in powdered form for some specific reason (e.g. sprinkling on oatmeal), or you're a survivalist interested in long shelf life of your food, it just doesn't make sense. Regular peanut butter is so much more calorie dense that it weighs quite a bit less on a per calorie basis, even when you take into account that a heavier container is generally needed for a butter than a powder.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

longri wrote:Regular peanut butter is so much more calorie dense that it weighs quite a bit less on a per calorie basis, even when you take into account that a heavier container is generally needed for a butter than a powder.
You can always warm the real peanut butter up slightly (in the sun) to break down the viscosity, and load it into one or two of these at 1oz apiece:

https://www.rei.com/product/696007/cogh ... ckage-of-2