Current Freeze Dried Meal Favorites

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Current Freeze Dried Meal Favorites

Post by maverick »

Those of you who eat freeze dried meals (dinners), what are your 2 favorite, current meals?

Been trying different Indian and Thai meals this season, have been desiring meals that have more spices lately, same old bland meals are just not cutting it anymore.
Good To-Go's "Thai Curry" is pretty good and Backpacker's Pantry has several Indian Curries that have been making me happy lately. :yummy:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Current Freeze Dried Meal Favorites

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote:Those of you who eat freeze dried meals (dinners), what are your 2 favorite, current meals?

Been trying different Indian and Thai meals this season, have been desiring meals that have more spices lately, same old bland meals are just not cutting it anymore.
Good To-Go's "Thai Curry" is pretty good and Backpacker's Pantry has several Indian Curries that have been making me happy lately. :yummy:
As I fish (and catch), I take reasonable sides which are the veggies like green beans, or rice, but I prefer potatoes.

My go to as backup is the Mountain house propack Beef Stroganoff, Chili Mac and Beef stew. The Turkey tetrazzini, and Pad Thai works as well.

It isn't freeze dried, but Tom's putanesca Is a great first meal with fresh pasta and Pecorino Romano and Angel Hair pasta is worth it's weight. Carbo loading for day 2. :)

MH Lasagna and meat sauce got two of us sick, so It isn't on my list.

Alpineaire BLACK BART CHILI WITH BEEF & BEANS was good as well.

Lunch generally isn't freeze dried. Generally a a couple of flour tortillas, Tuna packets, mayo and sweet relish.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

the good to go thai curry, for dessert a 1/2 serving of pack it gourmet lemon cheesecake. otherwise mashed potatoes with extras, or refried beans with extras all prepared at home, been adding home dehydrated quinoa for more protein.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Mary Janes Farm makes good stuff; Bare Burrito and Chillimac both enjoyable.
Also like PackitGourmet's smoothies.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

I have a hefty appetite for a 185 pound man. That is why I was dumbfounded during my first few trips in the Sierras when I didn't feel like eating much on trips. I have no idea why this is, as I seem to have the appetite during car camping at similar elevations.

I guess it's a blessing in regards to the weight.

I couldn't even finish the MH meals when I brought them. I did enjoy the chilimac variety though.

Thinking about just bringing soup and a snickers from now on!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

Still stuck on MH beef stroganoff and turkey tet. Tried a few of the Backpackers Pantry meals and found them to be no bueno...that was some time ago, however.

Here is my question: why can one not find MH meals in single-serving pouches? IIRC, the pro packs are 2 or 2.5 servings, and the regular bags often run 3 servings. I acknowledge that I often want more than one serving, but probably don't need the calories (or the sodium) of 2 or three servings. I would really prefer 1-serving bags, augmented by other food.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Don't not know why, but you can just buy a 2 serving pack, put half of it in a zip lock, same with the other 1/2, and you have two separate meals, which you can consume on the same trip or save the other for the next trip, if the next trip is not till several months, then place it in the freezer.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Packit Gourmet Texas State Fair Chili and their Dottie's Chicken & Dumplings. Love them both.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

neil d wrote:Here is my question: why can one not find MH meals in single-serving pouches? IIRC, the pro packs are 2 or 2.5 servings, and the regular bags often run 3 servings. I acknowledge that I often want more than one serving, but probably don't need the calories (or the sodium) of 2 or three servings. I would really prefer 1-serving bags, augmented by other food.
My local Walmart has single serving MH meals. I just buy the 2.5 serving version and vacuum seal into two.

John
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Unfortunately, MH is no longer selling the Tetrazzini except in MCW (military) format. Perhaps you can still find it at a few vendors.

My favorite MH meals for tastiness were the fajita mix followed by the fire roasted veggies. Unfortunately, they've discontinued both of those too. They've replaced the fajita mix this year with a fajita bowl. Seems similar but my abbreviated season kept me from trying it.

MH does sell single serving packs, but they have only 10 listed, seemingly just the most popular items. See https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/categor ... rving.html .