Current Freeze Dried Meal Favorites

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Current Freeze Dried Meal Favorites

Post by John Harper »

I bought a couple Mountain House Chicken Noodle Casseroles (3 servings), split into two meals. Very good IMO.

John
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

fish4gold wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 pm Great thread Mav!!! There are a few good ones, but MH Fajita bowl & Chicken Teriyaki would be tops for me. IMO I don't know how backpackers Pantry stays in business. I had one that was so bad I threw it away. I've tried other BP ones and still remain unimpressed.
I am now branching out into my own freezer-bag cooking by cooking brown rice in a flavor and dehydrating. Then add freeze-dried veggies and meat. I usually re-package MH meals in gallon Freezer Ziploc anyway, so they will all fit in a bear can. I need lots of fuel for my engine, although that is slowly changing now. I found that 2 servings = 1 for me.
F4G
I had some success with instant gravy / instant rice / freeze dried, chicken, and dehydrated veggies. Gravy makes everything better but I did have some problems with the different brands of gravy. It's been a while so I don't remember which ones worked the best anymore.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I find that dehydrating cooked brown rice more satisfying that instant or minute rice. Reconstitution and cook time is longer but if you presoak while hiking, the cook time becomes negligible. I do the same with steel cut oats.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

gary c. wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 amGravy makes everything better

You should make that your signature. :-)
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

freestone wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:32 am I find that dehydrating cooked brown rice more satisfying that instant or minute rice. Reconstitution and cook time is longer but if you presoak while hiking, the cook time becomes negligible.

I do this sometimes too. But the dehydrated rice is kind of bulky and volume is at a premium in a bear canister. So I usually just make Jasmine rice from scratch. Takes more fuel though.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

longri wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:40 pm
gary c. wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 amGravy makes everything better

You should make that your signature. :-)
For sure!! :D
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray