Ready Made Dehydrated Proteins

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Ready Made Dehydrated Proteins

Post by steiny98 »

Does anyone have any experience with dehydrated beef or chicken such as https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-G ... B000M7V1EA?

I'm looking to move away from the ready made dinners, and create my own meals using the above, and other dehydrated veggies such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-House-Fo ... ouse+foods

Does anyone have any experience with doing this? Any feedback/experience would be most welcome.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Ready Made Dehydrated Proteins

Post by robow8 »

I've used chicken from Honeyville Farms with good results. I just put together some meals last night using it; chicken and stuffing and cheesy chicken and broccoli.
http://shop.honeyville.com/products/fre ... eats.html/
One nice thing is that they have smaller cans also, when they're in stock.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I have the Mtn House Ground Beef and add it to meals. The calorie density is great (6.3 Cal/gm). The taste is decent, but it does remain slightly chewy after the 10 min steeping typical for Mtn House meals.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I dehydrate turkey or ground beef into gravel. No MSG in my meals. Canned chicken dehydrates and then comes back resembling chicken, just throwing uncooked chicken in a dehydrator doesn't work.

Tossing a can of chili in a tray and dehydrating works. Lentil based dishes dehydrate well.

Dehydrated a tuna casserole - brings all the cats in for miles... works okay.

Anything dehydrated at home should be eaten within a few weeks or frozen, by the way. It doesn't remove all the moisture and things can go moldy. But it does the trick when drying leftovers the week before a trip.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I use the freeze dried chicken from Mountain House all the time. Mix it with dehydrated refries and wrap in a burrito and your good to go.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steiny98 »

Okay great. Was thinking of making chicken burritos with dehydrated refried beans, fritos, tortilla, and minute rice.

Skurka has some decent recipes on his site which I was thinking of adding chicken to.

Thanks for the input, I think I will try the honeyville.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

If you get a dehydrator you can cut out the middle man.
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 26&t=14097
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray