Camping Food Technology via NYTimes

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Camping Food Technology via NYTimes

Post by sambieni »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/dini ... ref=dining

Worthwhile article.
Glad they included Good To-Go foods, which are fairly tasty. Should have reached out to Pack-it Gourmet in Texas, if feasible.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Camping Food Technology via NYTimes

Post by rlown »

Seems more like glamping.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with glamp food. I’m normally chasing the sun down at dinnertime, so the longer the prep time, the more done under lantern light. I love a good meal at glamp, but have to strike a balance between creation and cleanup. I try to keep the meals to one pan even though I have 4 burners at my disposal. Cleanup would probably be easier if I had half a brain to pack a small tub to do the dishes in. Still working on glamp. Maybe I just solved my own issue.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The first eve's meal of a true backpacking trip can be heavy and transplendent. But they are still one pot wonders usually involving fish. Camping with a fridge opens the door to a completely different experience. I rarely do that. The scallions are a nice touch, and I do bring some fresh veggies, regardless of the weight, because they somehow add to the ambiance of any meal along any lake shore off trail.

After that first night's meal, it's back to normal trail food.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I used to do that. Not so much, or at all any more. Dude, don't use such big words. I just said I have only half a brain.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:I used to do that. Not so much, or at all any more. Dude, don't use such big words. I just said I have only half a brain.
Cook Veg.. short enough?? :)

Honestly though, an Orange or Onion isn't gonna kill you, weight wise, and they slip nicely into a cleaned brookie before they go into the coals.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Great, half a word for half a brain. Speaking of transplendent, I used to bring a frozen steak, peppers and onions for a first night out. Some places don't have fish.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:Great, half a word for half a brain. Speaking of transplendent, I used to bring a frozen steak, peppers and onions for a first night out. Some places don't have fish.

Ditto. Plus an abalone button. And either Shrooms or green beans. and yes, butter. After that it's all olive oil.

So, on the old farts trip, we each had a night to cook for those in attendance. So it was more than one steak on the first night. Like 3-4. It was a good feast, but I usually got the first night.