Homemade Kind Bars

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Homemade Kind Bars

Post by fishmonger »

Last year we switched to a mostly bar-based diet for most meals, reducing cooking and other time intensive camp activities. However, that stuff is expensive!

so for this year, I've been preparing to make my own energy bars. While researching what is out there for recipes and studying labels on my favorite bars, I came across this site for Kind bar copycat recipes. Reading this, I realize I am going to face a learning curve (candy thermometer?), but it looks like a great way to cut cost and mix up something that may be even better than store bought. Lots of room for creativity once you master the basic process.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Homemade_KIND_Bars

I will report back how my first Kind bar DIY adventure turns out. Up next will be copycat Probar superfood slams - my favorites!
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Homemade Kind Bars

Post by zacjust32 »

Thanks for the article, I bookmarked it almost immediately. Candy thermometers are fun, just make sure you use a bigger pot than you think you need, sugar does tend to expand a little bit when headed :D. Costco has a good off brand version of the KIND bars that I really enjoy, I don't think I'd be willing to pay >$1 for the real ones though.

Can't wait to see how they turn out.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Read this before making a choice on which one's to copycat: http://www.eatthis.com/kind-bars
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for adding to the conversation, Mav. As I have gotten older, my sugar level has increased and I now have to watch my sugar intake. So if I wind up making bars, I'll cut back on the sugar (or leave it out entirely). Might not taste as good, but....
Yes, there are artificial sweeteners, but I really don't care for those.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The bars look to me to be GORP stuck together with candied sugar. Why not just take the same ingredients in a bag -the "Gorp" concept?

I prefer a bag of nuts and dried fruits vs a bar because 1) it packs down better (more efficient in the bear can), 2) my fingers do not get sticky and 3) added sugar is eliminated. Also, the candy kind of stickiness also sticks to my teeth and I do not brush until just before bed- probably not great for teeth. If I use a bar I take the ones that are more "cookie" like. The KIND bars that I have taken end up broken and then when I try to eat them a little bit falls on the ground. I agree that they are yummy! The worst bars are those covered with chocolate- what a mess! And there are SO many bars that are covered with chocolate.

As for the added sugar, I think if you are exercising rigorously, it is not as bad for you as a sedentary person who just munches on KIND bars for a snack. And for a few backpacks a year, it would not have big long term effects (unless you are pre-diabetic, which a lot of people over 60 are). Most of the nutritional reviews look at the food as it relates to the average person, not an athlete. If you like the KIND bars, do not mind the sticky or crumbly aspect then making your own is a big savings. Go for it!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Like Daisy said they are a bit off on the nutrition side. Light on protein. May be OK as a lunch or trail snack, I would not want them as a steady diet for 3 meals per day on an extended trip.
You could up the protein content with some whey or soy supplement and play with the recipe a bit to see how the additional protein powder affects cooking and taste. As we age the daily protein needs increase and carbs decrease. Cold weather also means additional protein and fat. Given the extra energy expenditure while hiking (400-650 cal per hour, depending on weight and strenuous level) you would have to eat 12-15 bars per day or the body will start muscle catabolism for fuel.

Besides, after a couple days of cold camping I crave a hot meal.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Wandering Daisy wrote:The bars look to me to be GORP stuck together with candied sugar. Why not just take the same ingredients in a bag -the "Gorp" concept?
simple - I like the sugar in those bars and never had any issues consuming sugar when I am burning 6000 cals a day. I may even add sugar over the recipe as given. On the turn side, I really don't like trail mix of any kind. Bring what you like. I like bars. And Kind is just one of them. Paying $1.50 per bar is something I am trying to avoid. Or paying $3 per bar when it comes to ProBars.

The Costco off brand version (cave man brand?) isn't bad, but barely any cheaper. I'll post some updates on how these things work out for me, as well as other recipes I come across.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

here are a few recipes for protein bars and other interesting concoctions I came across when searching for alternatives to the store bought stuff. Many of those may be along the lines of what was suggested as alternatives to Kind bars

No Bake Superfood bars

http://www.foodmatters.com/recipe/no-ba ... nergy-bars

Larabar like hemp protein bars

http://nutritionstripped.com/chewy-supe ... tein-bars/

Pecan Nut Buiscuit Bars

http://neilshealthymeals.com/pecan-nut- ... cation=ufi

Cherry Power Cookies - use base idea for variations of the recipes

http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/cher ... r-cookies/

peanut butter no bake fudge treats (how long do they last?)

http://blondeponytail.com/2010/11/no-ba ... cation=ufi

Nutty Quinoa Fuel Bars - http://www.sprint2thetable.com/2013/01/ ... fuel-bars/
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As far as the "nutritional" aspect of any backpack food, it depends on if you are talking about a handful of relatively short trips over the backpack season, or on the other extreme, month-long trips (like Rogue's journeys). For shorter trips, the fact that excess sugar may eventually give me diabetes or excess fat may give me heart disease, really do not matter. Unlike you, I do not like sugar, pain and simple. If you on the other hand, can eat all that sugar and not "bonk", then fine. Everyone has different tolerances to the short term effects of sugar. For the short term the more important points are that you like what you take, agrees with your digestive system (particularly at high altitudes), fits into a bear can (trail bars are not the most compact option), and supplies the energy you need. For the longer trips, nutrition DOES really matter.

The energy bar business is a real rip-off. Making your own is a good way to go. And when you make your own, you know exactly what is in it. Good Luck!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I tried making Kind bars. It came out more like nuggets than bars, which was fine, they taste the same.

What I like is variety, and food. I don't eat lots of bars. I got real sick and tired and done with the Lara bars and the Clif bars. Sick. and. tired. A stupid simple menu week after week gets real old. A thousand kinds of trail mix, different one every weekend, makes more sense to my palate. Peanut based with choc and white choc chips, almonds etc this week. Ginger chunks and almonds and cashews next week. M&Ms, almonds, raisins etc the week after. Yogurt covered nuts, berries, etc the week after that. It's the same thing that leads to the buckets at Muir Trail Ranch where there are three full five gallon buckets full of instant mashed potatoes that hikers are leaving behind -- if you're out for a while, monotony sucks balls. You get to the point where you can't possibly stick another peanut butter Clif bar in your mouth.

Okay, now I'm feeling a little nausea just thinking about that. BLECH. Clif bricks. Yuck. I've figured out how to lose weight, start thinking about bars... Just ruined my breakfast. Guess it goes in the fridge.