Post breakfast hydration?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post breakfast hydration?

Post by hikerduane »

When do you start taking in electrolytes if any after breakfast? Or do you take water for awhile, then switch to a mix? I've hiked a couple hours before taking on a mix if any, to stretch a quart out for that days hike. Am I being frugal? I'm usually of the I can tough it out mentality. 63 now, may need to abandon that line of thought. )
Duane
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Post breakfast hydration?

Post by rlown »

What is this concept you call "breakfast?" Mine usually consisted of good coffee (diuretic) and lots of water. It used to be oatmeal which would be smarter, but i tend to avoid breakfast (hot pans to clean before the hike.) I'm not generally hungry in the morning and wait for hunger before I eat, which would then be cheese, bread and summer sausage.

I try to drink as much water as possible regardless. If using the water bladder in the pack, I'll drop some electrolyte tabs in the bag. I tend to judge my need for hydration based on quantity and color of my urine. A little gross, but it does tell you how your body is reacting to it's surroundings (low humidity, higher workload/stress, etc.)
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Unless you're exerting yourself in extreme conditions or are particularly predisposed to electrolyte imbalance you will very likely get all the electrolytes you need in the food you eat during the day. For most people doing ordinary backpacking trips, using electrolyte mixes is about as necessary as taking vitamin pills.

Try going without sometime and see if you fall over or anything.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

+1
I always bring a bit of EmergenC, but rarely use it.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

We drink k cocoa and eat oatmeal for breakfast on the trail...And Fri k plenty of water. Seems to work OK. We'll drive k more water on the trail, and eat some kind of snack as well later in the morning.

Lunch h is more water, plus salami, cheese, salty crackers, fruit, and an energy bar.

We usually don't have hydration concerns with that system
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I thought I posted a reply yesterday. I'll have a few bars, maybe switch it up with a hot oatmeal or two and a bar when out for a week or so. Sometimes I'll save one bar for later in the AM, but it usually gets forgotten.
Duane
Piece of cake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Unless you're exerting yourself in extreme conditions or are particularly predisposed to electrolyte imbalance you will very likely get all the electrolytes you need in the food you eat during the day.
Agree.

If temps are not excessively high and/or conditions are not extremely humid (monsoon season), just including a mix of the following food items: bananas, raisins, beans, eggs, apricots, figs, nuts, peas, milk, cheese, olives, chips, mayo, tomato sauce, mustard, sausage, salt in meals (Himalayan or Unrefined Sea Salt), and drink adequate water amounts, should easily suffice in replenishing your lost sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium requirements.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

After becoming ill attempting to use an electrolyte drink on a hard hike, I go with food and water. It's been much easier than trying to stomach some of the chemicals.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

AlmostThere wrote:After becoming ill attempting to use an electrolyte drink on a hard hike, I go with food and water. It's been much easier than trying to stomach some of the chemicals.
Everything you ingest is made of chemicals: Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, all of which are perfectly normal. I personally don't do anything out of the normal, just drink water and eat my snacks. I typically pack salty snacks so that probably helps. I don't cramp up or feel faint unless it's miles and miles of downhill, then I sometimes get the leg shakes when standing still.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

But Nutrasweet is a migraine trigger, and too much sugar turns the stomach, and some of the less natural items cause allergies....