Post breakfast hydration?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Post breakfast hydration?

Post by sambieni »

hikerduane wrote:When do you start taking in electrolytes if any after breakfast? Or do you take water for awhile, then switch to a mix? I've hiked a couple hours before taking on a mix if any, to stretch a quart out for that days hike. Am I being frugal? I'm usually of the I can tough it out mentality. 63 now, may need to abandon that line of thought. )
Duane
I dig this question.

My backpacking breakfast is always in camp shortly after wakeup around 6/630 most days. Almost always oatmeal w protein powder/dried fruit mixed in, plus 2 starbucks via coffees. I used to split coffee, but now just put the Via into 1 single cup to save water/time. I get the hydration issue. I drink at least a liter usually before setting off on trail.
It has only been since coming to Sierras and now being later 30's that drinks other than water seemed important. I'll typically have 1, maybe 2, liters/day with gatorade mixed in. Some days it is late afternoon, while relaxing post hike and before dinner. I try to avoid dinner/onward to avoid late night trips outside the tent. But some days, I will pound a gatorade w/in hour or so after breakfast if feeling the coffee and water to follow was insufficient. Nothing standard, but I need my coffee yet realize that and my morning potty run can leave me flushed....

Don't be frugal. Do what your body needs.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Post breakfast hydration?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I can relate to SSSdaves decaces of training to do with less water. As a rock climber, I have had to spend a lot of time up on a wall without the ability to hual up lots of water. This means tanking up in the morning, taking very little water, and learning to do with less; a lot of little sips, no bit glugs. On the way back, the first stream is always such a treat!

I would hesitate to use tons of Gatoraide. It has a lot of sugar, which is not great for those of us in our 60's or more. Instead, get some electrolyte drink that does not have all that sugar. In addition to spiking your blood sugar (with the subsequent crash), you are carrying more food weight than you need to if you use sugared electrolyte drinks.