Backpacker Nachos

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Backpacker Nachos

Post by Lumbergh21 »

This is something that I came across somewhat accidentally while hiking a section of the PCT and in need of a boost after a tough day but too tired to think straight. I started off with the idea to have the last of my refried beans with cheddar. Then decided to use it as some dip for the last few ounces of my luxury item, corn chips. Then decided it would be much easier if I just added the corn chips directly into the bean and cheese mixture than dipping them individually.

In your handy camp cup bring 1/2 cup water and 1 Tbsp of oil to a boil. To the water add about 1/3 of a pack of Fantastic World Foods dehydrated refried beans (theirs are the best I have found), 2 to 3 oz. cheddar cheese cut into smaller chunks, and hot sauce to taste. Stir, cover the cup, and remove from the heat. Give about 3 minutes for the beans to rehydrate and the cheese to melt then take the cover off the cup and stir. Finally, mix in 2 to 3 ounces of corn chips. Everyone on trail and off who has tried this loves it. Not exactly a diet food at 900 to 1,160 calories (depending on how much cheese and corn chips you use), but a great calorie to weight ratio for hiking. If you want to bump up the calories even more, it works as a filling in a tortilla for a burrito too. I usually have this the first couple of days into a hike, as I don't like carrying cheddar in the back country for more than 3 days.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacker Nachos

Post by gary c. »

Sounds really good, I'll have to try it. I almost always carry dehydrated refries and dehydrated cheese so I just Need to add the chips. I'm thinking some dehydrated hamburger or pulled pork would also add a little something extra.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I love chicken burritos on the first night. There's a bit of a weight penalty on day one, but well worth it for me. I take a foil pouch of chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, toritillas and refried beans. I may add corn chip dregs to this mix. Sounds like a good addition.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Jimr: I'll have to try that this summer. I think I will stick with my "nachos" but add the chicken as well. The chips add some corn flavor and crunch that really elevate the refried beans and cheese for me. Also, the reason I melt in chunks of cheddar is that I'll also carry some salami/pepperoni and slice some cheddar off the block for that as well for another meal. The hot water has always been sufficient to melt the small chunks of cheese that I cut into the bean mixture. For me, a piece of cheese works better, and I think would keep better as well. Then again, I've never tried shredded cheese on trail.