do you dehydrate your own trail meals? | High Sierra Topix  

do you dehydrate your own trail meals?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).

Re: do you dehydrate your own trail meals?

Postby justm » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:05 pm

I have a great recipe, Green Chili bean soup !!!
I dehydrate Hatch Green Chili Enchilada sauce,and Safeway whole canned green chilis at home.
I buy, Mexicali Rose Dehydrated homestyle refried beans on Amazon.
At camp, add the above in the amounts you like to a pot along with 2 packets of concentrated chicken broth ( you can get them at Trader Joe's) and the appropriate amount of water, depending on how thick you want it. .
Add some Monterey Jack cheese at the end, maybe some crunched up tortilla chips ......enjoy :)

Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Postby wanderin.jack » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:07 pm

All our backpacking meals is daydreamed at home using a the Excalibur dehydrator. We've used cheaper ones and found that you get what you pay for. Love Excalibur and we use it for a lot more than backpacking food. Right now we have pumpkin seeds in it that we soaked over night in brine.

Wandering Jack
Wanderin' Jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Postby fishmonger » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:47 am

That Green Chili Bean Soup recipe sounds tasty. Have to try it.

Haven't reported back from our hike, but all the food we dehydrated ourselves performed to full satisfaction. The shredded pork burrito was excellent, and once we optimized our preparation in the jetboil, it also didn't stick to the pot while not being too runny. It really worked best to prepare the dehydrated burrito filling with slightly too much water, so that even after soaking for 15 minutes, it was still runny enough for a brief re-heat without sticking to the bottom of the pot. Then we just thickened it with dehydrated refried beans we also brought along. Those only take second to rehydrate, giving us a thick and hot fill for the tortillas.

Another success was a pretty simple spaghetti meal For that, I had dehydrated our favorite Newman's Own Spaghetti sauce into what they call "leather" - and that is exactly what that resulting red material feels like. Additionally we packed some of that "gravel" dehydrated ground meat I made, as well as some dry onion, red peppers and obviously some angel hair pasta. The meat and veggies got rehydrated half an hour earlier in a zip lock so that the final preparation was real fast. Heated the water for the sauce, added the leather I had chopped into small pieces, the already hydrated meat and veggies, heated that to a boil. Put in our sumo plastic bowl, then quickly heated the spaghetti, drained and added the sauce into the big pot. Done. Some parmesan would have been great. Will bring that next time.

My Cajun bean soup was great - in spite of large slices of dried sausage, that meal rehydrated fine in 15 minutes. The only problem I have with it are the sharp bean pieces that want to puncture any bag you put the dry soup into. I double packed it and it still leaked some out into the bear can.

Also good was the potato soup we created from a can of Creamy Potato Soup Mix (Providence Pantry - bought that 2 years ago) plus meat and veggies I dried on the Excalibur. We thickened that soup mix by straining the potato pieces out of some of the mix to add to the part we took along, increasing the potato to soup ratio. Also added bacon bits.

The homemade Beef Stroganoff wasn't so good, but mostly because we didn't get the sauce seasoned right. The bar with that meal was high, though, as we love the Mountain House Stroganoff. I think in the future, I'll just return to that and focus on dehydrating burritos and soups. If things go as planned, I plan to be back up in the high country solo in about 4 weeks for a late fall hike down the JMT after all the crowds have left. The only thing that'll change about the food is the size of the Jetboil pot and the portion sizes, being solo.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Return to Backcountry Food Topix