do you dehydrate your own trail meals?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: do you dehydrate your own trail meals?

Post by InsaneBoost »

I've seen a couple photos of people cooking in their jetboil cup, or whatever that thing is called. Doesn't it say to only boil water in it? Or does it really not matter as long as you clean it out?

Also trying some dehydrated watermelon. Have them in now and hopefully should be done in the morning when I leave for my trip (I pulled this last minute).
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

InsaneBoost wrote:I've seen a couple photos of people cooking in their jetboil cup, or whatever that thing is called. Doesn't it say to only boil water in it? Or does it really not matter as long as you clean it out?

Also trying some dehydrated watermelon. Have them in now and hopefully should be done in the morning when I leave for my trip (I pulled this last minute).
I really like dehydrated watermelon. It's practically candy!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I use a pocket rocket but I have friends that use jetboils. They only heat up their water with the stove and then will add the dehydrated fixings after it is removed from heat. That way they don't have to worry about scorching the food and the pan with the high heat.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Okay that makes sense then. I was thinking it might be something like that, but I've seen people cooking soups in them too. Was confused.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

InsaneBoost wrote:I've seen a couple photos of people cooking in their jetboil cup, or whatever that thing is called. Doesn't it say to only boil water in it? Or does it really not matter as long as you clean it out?
As long as what you're cooking in there isn't too thick, it's fine. For the burrito mix above in the photos, what we do is boil water, add the mix, let it sit, then heat a little more just before eating. Once the stove is turned off, we add some dehydrated refried beans to get the consistency to what you expect. prior to that, it is all a really soupy mix that won't stick to the stove during the brief reheat period.