Chocolate | High Sierra Topix  

Chocolate

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).

Re: Chocolate

Postby longri » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:52 pm

That's interesting about the taste buds. I can certainly believe that there is physiological change that could play a part. But I don't believe that's the whole story. Tastes can change for other reasons. And I think the chocolate I've eaten in the past was different.

I used to love darkly roasted coffee but now I can't tolerate it. It's just too bitter. It lacks many of the subtle flavors of coffee. If I had lost taste sensitivity wouldn't you expect the opposite transition?

maverick wrote:Milk chocolate is pretty bland, things start to get a little more intense once you hit the 70% range, and even more so in the 80% and 90% range, just be careful, some manufacturers will try to balance the natural bitter flavor of the cocoa in these ranges with large amounts of sugar.

I'm not sure I understand. What else would they put in there besides sugar? Looking at the ingredients for those 70% and 85% Dandelion bars and there are only two: Cocoa beans and sugar.

longri
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Re: Chocolate

Postby maverick » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm not sure I understand. What else would they put in there besides sugar? Looking at the ingredients for those 70% and 85% Dandelion bars and there are only two: Cocoa beans and sugar.

Vanilla and soy lecithin.

But I don't believe that's the whole story. Tastes can change for other reasons. And I think the chocolate I've eaten in the past was different.

Probably isn't, never is.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Previous

Return to Backcountry Food Topix