deep trout fish cakes with lemon butter and chive sauce

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

deep trout fish cakes with lemon butter and chive sauce

Post by rlown »

Looked interesting. Might try to modify the recipe for backpacking/fishing next year... Based on my experience with those who might be with me, this recipe serves 1 person. :)
ay_108622000.jpg
Try this recipe for deep trout fish cakes with lemon butter and chive sauce from Sarah Mayor’s The Great British Farmhouse Cookbook.

INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
3 x 300g trout
50g butter, melted
4 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
450g floury potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks and boiled until tender
10g curly leaf parsley, finely chopped
Plain flour, for dusting
2tbsp sunflower oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the lemon butter sauce:
2tbsp dry white wine
1tbsp lemon juice
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1tbsp double cream
75g chilled unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces
1tbsp finely chopped chives

METHOD

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 200°C. Brush the trout with half the melted butter and season well. Pop on a buttered baking tray and roast for 12-15min, until just cooked through. Leave to cool, then peel back the top layer of skin from each fish and run a knife between the 2 fillets. Carefully ease the fish away from the bones, and flake into small chunky pieces. Leave to drain on kitchen paper.

Step 2: Warm the remaining melted butter in a small pan. Add the spring onions and cook gently for 1min. Set to one side. Pop the boiled potatoes into a bowl and mash until smooth, then stir in the spring onions, flaked fish and parsley. Season to taste. Using lightly floured hands, shape the mix into four 5cm-thick fish cakes. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.

Step 3: To cook the fish cakes, heat the oil in a large frying pan and preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Dust each cake with more flour, add to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 3-4min on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a greased baking tray and bake for 12-15min until hot all the way through.

Step 4: Meanwhile, make the sauce. Put the wine, lemon juice, shallot and 3tbsp of water into a small pan, bring to the boil and simmer until reduced by half. Sieve, return to the pan and simmer until reduced to 1tbsp. Add the cream and simmer for a bit longer, then lower the heat and gradually whisk in the butter until smooth and thick. Stir in the chopped chives and season to taste. Lift the fish cakes on to warmed plates and spoon over a little of the sauce. Serve with some steamed broccoli or spinach.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/01/how-to-co ... z3u8Cci2JZ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ofuros
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: deep trout fish cakes with lemon butter and chive sauce

Post by ofuros »

Looks mouthwatering........
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Mmm...that looks tasty. If you're successful in modifying for the trail, would you mind posting the updated recipe?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ERIC wrote:Mmm...that looks tasty. If you're successful in modifying for the trail, would you mind posting the updated recipe?
No problem. Need to relearn the metric system first. :(

My first thought is that Brookies would be more tasty. I can recreate the recipe on my gear during the holidays as I'll be off. I'll try both instant potatoes and the real ones. the fresh ingredients still need to be fresh.

Doesn't look too heavy for the field at first glance, and um, I think I know how to flake out a fish. Even my crab cakes never see an oven, so I can skip that step and use the pan over the backpacking stove.
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by balance »

If I had food this good up in the mountains, I wouldn't come back to the city.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

INGREDIENTS (Serves 4) Serves 1
3 x 300g trout 2 trout per person ~14"
50g butter, melted (probably olive oil, with a small bit of Ghee)
4 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced (Those have to be fresh, or substitute wild onions if available; cant count on that)
450g floury potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks and boiled until tender (i'm not against either fresh or instant here until i try them)
10g curly leaf parsley, finely chopped (never curly leaf. Flat Italian parsley always and fresh is better here)
Plain flour, for dusting
2tbsp sunflower oil (Olive oil; I generally carry at least 8 oz anyway)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the lemon butter sauce:
2tbsp dry white wine (an extra small container; sigh. couldn't find wine in packets)
1tbsp lemon juice (packets)
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1tbsp double cream (ok, this is available dehydrated, but not in small sizes. I read this as sour cream, so it could be dehydrated)
75g chilled unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces (again, Ghee or olive oil)
1tbsp finely chopped chives

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm just trying to think before the store run.

Any other suggestions? Mav? others?

Russ