Is there anywhere decent left to eat in Bishop?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Is there anywhere decent left to eat in Bishop?

Post by DAVELA »

The Whisky Creek was the only real decent restaurant in Bishop and now it is closed.It is astonishing that in a bustling town that serves many visitors that there is not 1 good restaurant.There is nothing but fast food left and a few poor restaurants ie Jack's and the chinese restaurant.
Personally, i can eat kfc for a few days straight and sleep in the car or tent but my dad cant and wont-he is also willing to pay for good meals and services like many people who pass through.
In fact, my father and i where going to stay in bishop for 2 days and nights this time but when we found out WC was closed we went back to lone pine.We are also re considering a trip to owens valley this winter because of the lack of service.This is really frustrating.
What's more amazing is if you consider between the 14/395 junction and mammoth there is only 1 good restaurant and that is Season's,in lone pine.I have never understood the lack of services in the owens valley.Its bizarre to me.Look at independence and big pine,2 major gateways to serious mountain trails and ghosttown atmosphere without services.Does anyone know what is up?We dont hang in Mammoth so thats not an option.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is there anywhere decent left to eat in Bishop?

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Teresa Gergen wrote:Upper Crust Pizza has good Italian food, not just pizza, with very nice service and atmosphere
x10, and you worded it exactly as I would have. The regular Italian dishes are great; better than the pizza. Sweet people. Our go-to in Bishop.

For breakfast, and great coffee: Great Basin Bakery!

- Elizabeth
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I'll put in a good word for Sage. Very nice...and completely different from the usual pizza/bbq/sandwich places that you usually find near trailheads. Nice menu, good wines. We'd eat there again in a heartbeat.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

We ate here...
IMG_0594.JPG
Certainly not gourmet but we had a couple of foodies with us and everyone thought the food was great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Great Basin bakery is the best!

I also like Black Sheep Cafe (next to Eastside sports) for a breakfast sandwich and coffee or snack and beer later in the day.
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

It's not Bishop, but the Copper Top BBQ in Big Pine was really good. The tri tip brisket was out of this world as were the ribs. The pulled pork was just OK, wouldn't go running back for that.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Thanks Teresa and all...We heard about the bowling alley but were dubious about the concept...We will try out some of the suggestions.Dont know about the texas bbq though as ribs arent our thing but we dont have many choices so...There is a new place called schatts rotisserie-have no idea about that.It was closed at 9pm i think. as were most places on a thursday evening-even kfc was closed at 8.Its just weird.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Tirebiter
Topix Newbie

Post by George Tirebiter »

Bishop burger barn. Awesomely weird eclectic place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I've heard very good things about the bowling alley from a very reliable source especially the burgers. As far as Holy Smoke. My buddy from L.A. who has been to me to some places in Texas, thought it was nothing special, The brisket which is a Texas staple is what I had as well as chicken. The brisket was just so, so meh!? I want to try Copper Kettle though. BTW for those who know "Franklin BBQ" in Austin by that celebrity guy that only has a limited amount of food everyday and sells out before 10:30... I guess I don't get the celebrity shortage induced quality thing, I wouldn't stand in line for 3hrs only to find out they ran out of such and such. My $.02