Siracha Vs Yellow Bird

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Siracha Vs Yellow Bird

Post by austex »

I know there is a BIG consortium of Siracha lovers here. But from my now home town is a contender? Or something to else to consider; YB says refrigerate after opening... Austin-wierd-natural-granola thing...? Don't hold it against me.

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/hot ... ist-nation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Siracha Vs Yellow Bird

Post by rlown »

Habanero is way different than a Sriracha packet. Good for a go. Do they sell small packets for backpacking/etc.?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Siracha Vs Yellow Bird

Post by Jimr »

My home made stuff is better than both,Bhutto it don't come in packets. I do carry a lot of dry stuff from my garden though.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Siracha Vs Yellow Bird

Post by Jimr »

Really? This phone thought I Said Bhutto?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

rlown wrote:Habanero is way different than a Sriracha packet. Good for a go. Do they sell small packets for backpacking/etc.?
Probably not as it's fairly new on the market. I'll look into it.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

If it's like Sriracha it won't require refrigeration when opened. So you might try a tiny plastic container like one of these 1/2oz food grade LDPE screw top bottles:

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plas ... w_caps/232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It probably does need refrigeration if you look at the ingredients. No preservatives. Hence the question about single use packets. The Salt and Vinegar might stabilize it for the trek in a secondary container.

I've seen Sriracha sitting on tables at restaurants. I'm somewhat ok with that given what's added to stabilize the mix.

Still, i don't want to buy a whole bottle of it before tasting it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Jimr wrote:
My home made stuff is better than both,Bhutto it don't come in packets. I do carry a
lot of dry stuff from my garden though.
I believe you Jim, was lucky enough to enjoy some of your homedried stuff on our
HST Meet-up trip, yummy. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:It probably does need refrigeration if you look at the ingredients. No preservatives.
From the yellowbirdsauce.com website FAQ:

"The shelf life has been lab tested to last at least one year if you’re storing it at room temperature. Yellowbird Sauce can stay fresh for much longer if kept unopened and refrigerated."
rlown wrote:Still, i don't want to buy a whole bottle of it before tasting it.
Well, that's different. I wonder if you could get yellowbird to send you a sample?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:My home made stuff is better than both,Bhutto it don't come in packets. I do carry a lot of dry stuff from my garden though.
Are you going to bottle it or at least post it's recipe? A buck an oz. for yellow bird. If your sauce is that good, please tell us.

Yellow Bird appears to be in Whole Foods in Texas. Guess a test market. Might have to wander down to my "Whole Paycheck" place and see if they have it and what the markup is.