Siracha Vs Yellow Bird

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Siracha Vs Yellow Bird

Post by Jimr »

rlown wrote:
Jimr wrote:My home made stuff is better than both,Bhutto it don't come in packets. I do carry a lot of dry stuff from my garden though.
Are you going to bottle it or at least post it's recipe? A buck an oz. for yellow bird. If your sauce is that good, please tell us.

Yellow Bird appears to be in Whole Foods in Texas. Guess a test market. Might have to wander down to my "Whole Paycheck" place and see if they have it and what the markup is.
I looked for it this morning, but couldn't find it before I had to go to work. I think I know where it is, but I have to move several things out of the garage to get to my old nightstand. Anyway, it's a peach Habanero sauce. You can use Scotch Bonnets or any other chili you want as long as it is ripe. I use some kind of yellow Caribbean chili, but I don't have a name for it. It was given to me by a mexican gal whose dad grows them.

I have a good recipe somewhere for a fiery fruit jelly as well.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr,

Sounds tasty, like a variation on a Mango Salsa. I like the peach idea.

Scotch Bonnets! :evil:

Mouth is watering and head is sweating just reading that..
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

If you have a mango recipe you like, you can cut back on the mango and add peaches or replace mango with peaches all together.

I used to have a good fiery chutney recipe too. Maybe they're in the same place.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thanks for the YellowBird, Austex.

Stickers are in the mail.

Russ
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok. I was hesitant to break the seal on the yellow bird. Decided to give her a try. Starts out sweet and then makes your head sweat! This is perfect for a nacho plate or a hot Tri-tip or.. wait, had to wipe away the sweat. or a rib-eye at the end of the grill.

Thanks Austex!
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

:rockon: Glad to spread some Texas "Sunshine" Sweat-on! YVW...Enjoy
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

austex wrote::rockon: Glad to spread some Texas "Sunshine" Sweat-on! YVW...Enjoy
Thanks again, austex!!

A recipe I found that works. Ok.. I like steak. Good Rib-eyes. My plan is to try this recipe with the normal sides. You know, brussel sprouts with bacon, baked potato, fixin's. :)

http://www.recipe.com/rib-eye-steaks-wi ... eck-sauce/

It will be grilled on a charcoal bbq. :nod: Not sure what the wife will think when she cuts into it. :crybaby: Her Baked potato and sour cream will alleviate the heat.

Although I bbq for me. It's a lot of work. Noticed Yellowbird had an onion ring recipe as well, but in the pic they were overcooked.

https://yellowbirdsauce.com/habanero-onion-rings/ I think I know how to fix that and way more onion rings than just two onions.

Anyway, since very few are talking about TR's or plans right now.. A little fuel to the palette as we dream about next year's treks.

I could probably modify that for a first day backpacking trip at a first day acclimatization campground and not have to carry that for 5 miles in.

Russ
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Just re-read the head to head in the original post. That guy stacked the deck. He used at least one Vietnamese recipe. Had he replace those eggs or french fries with any type of mexican food, guess who would have won. BTW, when I don't make sauce, I dilute this by half with some mango juice for a quick burner.
Da Bomb Beyond Insanity Hot Sauce_F02080003_LG.JPG
Not only will it stay perfectly fresh for about a hundred years outside the refrigerator, but anything it touches will last nearly a lifetime as well. One caveat though, it has an equally intense burn going :moon: as it does going :drinkers:

oh, and if that guy was really a chili head, he'd be raising his milk glass, not his water glass :unibrow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

hmm. My wife just tried the Yellow Bird the other day and now she's guzzling it. Guess that is a good thing, as she's not really big on really hot. Her first attempt was in a soup, and she used too much :) Still very good!