Favorite backcountry beverage

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Favorite backcountry beverage

Post by AlmostThere »

Usually a Syrah, or a Petit Syrah. Tho if someone else brings port I wouldn't turn up my nose, especially if I remember to throw in a bar of chocolate.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Nice combo, some aged Portuguese Port with some French or Italian Chocolate, between
70% and 80%. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by The hermit »

I like the vitamin c packets for a quick pick me up.arizona green tea single serve powder taste great, I can't seem to find them lately. Im looking for any suggestions to add variety to my drinks out there.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Nothing but water. I miss my protein fruit ice shakes when in the wilderness. I don't like adding mixes to my water bottles since they kind of leave a slight aftertaste when putting plain water in later.
Jeff
wkcollins
Topix Newbie

Post by wkcollins »

While my friends and I usually insist on bringing an alcoholic beverage of some kind whenever we backpack, I am growing tired of lugging the weight. Especially because the libations rarely last more than three days, and those are the three days that I break my legs back into 'Sierra Shape.' Plus I am a beer man myself.

So that is the main reason why I have to try this beer concentrate:

Seems like this got suitable reviews, going to have to try this Beer Concentrate if for nothing more than a good chuckle. Anybody try Pat's Backcountry Beverages out yet?
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

wkcollins wrote:...I am growing tired of lugging the weight.
Beer is heavy, so is wine. But as you move up the strength scale the caloric value of the alcohol becomes significant. An 80 proof liquor has roughly the same number of calories per unit weight as a tortilla. Full strength (for CA) 151 proof clocks in at 5.2 Cal/g which is likely more weight efficient than most of the foods you're carrying. In moderation strong booze is an asset both in terms of food energy per unit weight and of course its pleasant sedative effective.

Granted, 151 proof liquor tastes pretty bad on its own. I wouldn't count on those little "GU" bags of instant beer tasting all that fabulous either.

Some things are best enjoyed upon return to the front country.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

For myself, coffee in the am, and tea and/or hot choc in the pm. I will admit to really growing fond of a nice cup of tea in the afternoon or early evening at camp. Have even started bring along a couple ceramic tea cups, but thats certainly not required. Water the entire trip. I used to pack in gatorade or koolaid, but found myself carrying it back out most of the time so now it stays behind unless I'm with my daughter Rachael. She likes Tang in the am and those little packets of flavored drinks you add to your water bottle for the trail, so we bring some along on our trips together.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

For alcohol, I've always relied on Wild Turkey. At 101 proof, it is much more palatable than 151 proof rum and gives you the next most bang /lb.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Re alcohol in the pack, obviously this is to each their own, but I typically bring along a 1/2 pint or a pint (longer trips :drinkers: ) of Jameson or someting similar (Bushmills, etc) thats good for sipping around camp in the evenings. My sons not a huge fan of it straight up, so he mixes it with tea. I'll admit I'm not a huge 151 fan as it needs to be covered with some kind of flavor to make it palatable (ever tried to drink that stuff straight up???), but Jimrs advice on the Wild Turkey idea sounds good!!!

I will say a cold beer in the backcountry is hard to beat, but so heavy that I rarely have the opportunity. That said, I recently did a weekender with my son and he hauled in two nice 24 oz craft beers to share with our steak and potatoes dinner (meal cooked in skillets due to the no fire situation, and yes, the bottles came back out with us). Very heavy, but with it being only an overnight trip we decided our one evening meal should be a memorable one on all fronts, and I must say it ranks up there as one of the finest pack meals/beers I have ever enjoyed. Eating steak with potaoes, onions and peppers seasoned to perfection and washing it down with a nice cold brew (chilled in the river) while watching the sun set over the San Joaquin was quite enjoyable!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I only take 151 proof when I'm being especially obsessive about weight. I drink it straight since it tastes so bad; I don't want to prolong the experience. It burns, but after one or two nights a protective callous forms on my esophagus.

My usual whiskey is 80 proof. I have a few favorites that are 100 proof but I am hesitant to transfer really expensive stuff into a PET bottle. Often times the highlight of the evening meal is the whiskey and numerous appetizers we enjoy. The main course is almost an afterthought.

Some people use snow to make a margarita, typically with gatorade powder as the mix.

If you can deal with the weight beer is pretty hard to beat. I have taken a tall can or a six pack or even a couple of bottles on trips many times. A cool stream or (better) a snow patch to chill them is essential.

Priorities!