Favorite backcountry beverage

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite backcountry beverage

Post by longri »

longri wrote:Found it! A place in town stocks the Lemon Hart Demerara 151, $33/750ml.
The Lemonhart 151 has disappeared for some reason I'm a little too lazy to investigate. For a number of ultralight trips in the last couple years I've suffered with Bacardi 151 which is really caustic. I think I may have slightly damaged my esophagus on one trip.

Fortunately there is a replacement that I recently came across. It's Hamilton 151 demerara. It has a similar character and is almost too sweet to believe that it's really 75% ethanol. I think it's not quite as good as the Lemonhart but I don't have a bottle to do a side by side comparison so I could be wrong. In any case, I can sip this stuff straight and it tastes good, unlike Bacardi which is a nasty, caustic, rocket fuel medicine.

Hamilton 151 Demerara Rum (Guyana) -- $33/750ml
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Grape Snow Cone. Scrape surface off snow bank, fill cup with snow. Sprinkle grape flavored CoolAid (with sugar) over top. Stir with spoon; eat with spoon.
IMG_0904.JPG
My daughter appears to prefer cherry or strawberry. (Haypress Meadows, July 10, 2011)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

This year, it's been Tennessee Honey, Neat.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.