Standard Camping Meals

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Standard Camping Meals

Post by InsaneBoost »

I like the idea of the breakfast for sure. The Macaroni with Bacon definitely sounds interesting, never tried that.

I might shave the other stuff without the kids. Sucks the family, well, mostly girlfriend doesn't like fish. Ruins camping big time. Told her she better get used to it in case we get lost in the woods :lol:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

InsaneBoost wrote:
Sucks the family, well, mostly girlfriend doesn't like fish. Ruins camping big time. Told her she better get used to it in case we get lost in the woods :lol:
Really need to get her/them to try fresh caught wild fish from clear clean water, prepared in a little olive oil, garlic, and a little seasoning wrapped in foil and cooked over coals. My grand kids thought they didn't like fish until forced to take a bite, then they couldn't get enough! It also helps when they catch their own dinner!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We took our two grandkids, age 3 and 5 camping last year. They both eat fish at home. They watched Grandpa catch the fish, touched the fish eyes! Then I cooked the fish and they would not eat it. They will eat fish from the market, but not the SAME fish they saw swimming around a few hours ago. Most kids nowadays do not realize the meat they eat was a live animal at some time.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Our son had a similar reaction when he caught his first fish in upper Virginia Canyon at age 5. He was overjoyed at catching the fish and very proud of himself. It was big enough for him to have for dinner so we didn't throw it back in the creek. He posed for a photo with a big smile holding up the fish. When it came to me killing and gutting the fish, he was horrified. I will never forget him plaintively saying, "It's so beautiful," as he stared at it lying dead on a rock. Since we could have a fire, it was cooked to near perfection. He was willing to take a couple of bites at dinner, but my wife and I ate the rest.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

LMBSGV wrote:Our son had a similar reaction when he caught his first fish in upper Virginia Canyon at age 5. He was overjoyed at catching the fish and very proud of himself. It was big enough for him to have for dinner so we didn't throw it back in the creek. He posed for a photo with a big smile holding up the fish. When it came to me killing and gutting the fish, he was horrified. I will never forget him plaintively saying, "It's so beautiful," as he stared at it lying dead on a rock. Since we could have a fire, it was cooked to near perfection. He was willing to take a couple of bites at dinner, but my wife and I ate the rest.

Nice. I wonder how or when we turn that "corner." As far as I know it didn't cross my mind why we were catching fish. It was to eat. same with all meat products i guess.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Yeah I'm hoping getting her to try fresh over store bought will help. I know she liked scallops I made one time, but she couldn't do the crab or shrimp.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

InsaneBoost wrote:Yeah I'm hoping getting her to try fresh over store bought will help. I know she liked scallops I made one time, but she couldn't do the crab or shrimp.
none of which are found in the Sierra. I'd go right back to MIke (OR)'s response. cook the fish like he said, place it next to the mac n' cheese and let them sample. it'll evidently take time. She'll either embrace and enjoy it, or she'll show up in Petaluma protesting meat processing. :)

Good either way. Make your statement and live it.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Kathy and I just returned from a car camping trip and it reminded me of something that is great fun for kids of all ages. Since we are often out of range of freezers, instead of ice-cream we will take a bunch of fresh strawberries and a can or two of whipped cream. Put the berries on a plate or tray then spray some whipped cream on the end then bite. Then spray a little more whipped cream on the berry and bite that. Then when all the berries are gone. spray the whipped cream into your mouth and the kids can do it to them selves. Just because we are old doesn't mean we have to grow up. I guess you probably have to make clear that this kind of eating is only for special occasions, like campouts. It is a change from marshmallows and summores. (not to knock them).

But the promise of special deserts can provide an incentive to try something new in the main course.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!