paleo backcountry food

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
RichardNixon06
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

paleo backcountry food

Post by RichardNixon06 »

Hi guys. A few months ago I switched to a paleo diet, which for those of you who don't know, means I eat nothing processed or not natural. all just meat veggies fruit and nuts, but no wheat, beans, or legumes. So all the calorie dense carbs that keep well on the trail like rice, pasta and even oatmeal are out. I've done some research on this but I'm looking for more opinions from people with more experience. What's some good food i can take with me on a trip of several days without overloading on heavy foods? Thanks in advance for any advice.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: paleo backcountry food

Post by TahoeJeff »

Have you tried:
http://www.paleomealstogo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have no experience with them, I just know they are out there.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
RichardNixon06
Topix Novice

Post by RichardNixon06 »

Thanks I'll take a look at that
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Rice and pasta are NOT calorie dense. They have no fats so are only about 1,500 calories per pound, about the same as jerky. Cheese would be my fist choice of a calorie dense food. Cheese is "made" so not sure it is considered a paleo-diet food. Nuts and seeds are both very high calorie. I assume that dried fruit would be OK. Fruit is not cooked, natural, and simply sun-dried. This gives you the carbohydrates. You should buy a dehydrator and dry your own meals. That way you get what you want.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Plenty of info on-line. Look under paleo diet for endurance athletes for
example: https://kettlebellkitchen.com/nutrition ... hletes.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or even better paleo diet for backpacking:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 8443,d.cGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 8443,d.cGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

TahoeJeff wrote:Have you tried:
http://www.paleomealstogo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have no experience with them, I just know they are out there.
Not a slam on you TJ as all you did was reference it, but 35 buxx for 3 meals for a day?? My wife would slap me silly if i ordered that. At least you get a free water bottle sticker.

At this point, almost everything is "made", unless you want to redefine what "made" means. Also remember that the average life span expectancy was half.

When out I eat what I want. I'm not always hungry. I like tortillas (made), fish, even salmon or tuna pouched (made), peanut butter (made), cheese (hard cheeses), and condiment packets of various types (made).

Don't get hung up on a certain philosophy when going backpacking. Take what you think you'll like. Augment it accordingly (slim jims, cheese, lots of cheese) and have a good time!

No reason to become a breatharian, or naked hiker or someone who only wants to live off water.

Veggies are always good.

Not a fan of nuts. Like M&M's though. sigh, made.

*Soap box off*
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I'm with rlown

Not a fan of the paleo diet. The so-called science behind it is pretty shaky.
Adkins, ketogenic, south beach, diet et al, all variations of the same theme.
Depending on how hard-core paleo you get there can be medical side effects and interference with some prescription and OTC drugs, so run it past your doctor.

I try to eat healthy at home, but on trips getting the needed calories and nutrition is difficult while simultaneously keeping weight down and using easy to prepare meals. So the healthy eating habits seem to take a vacation too.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

TahoeJeff wrote: I have no experience with them, I just know they are out there.
By saying that, I meant I just knew they were a source for Paleo backpacking food, not that they wanted $35 a day to feed one person! Definitely mucho dinero! The Paleo diet seems pretty specialized, so I would expect those meals would be more $$$ than Mountain House for instance.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

to take some pressure off. take a tomato, a potato. cut/shred accordingly to the meal. Tube paste as well . so many options with pesto or what ever you take with you. I'ts a fiesta. Why limit your cooking ability or eating ability.
RichardNixon06
Topix Novice

Post by RichardNixon06 »

Its not about having a certain philosophy. I have ulcerative colitis and the paleo diet has changed how I feel and how my body processes food. Im not about to get all crazy and start hiking naked or anything but its really not fun to be in the backcountry and start having gastrointestinal distress. And thanks maverik ill check those out