Oomph blends

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
gregw822
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Oomph blends

Post by gregw822 »

Like many of us, I suppose, I tend to wander the aisles of grocery stores reading labels in search of calorie-dense deliciousness.
I recently discovered Oomph cooking blends: https://www.oomphcooking.com/

Oomph.jpg
These packets contain mixtures of herbs and vegetables dehydrated and milled into powders. There are 8 varieties. I tried blend No. 2 this week, a mixture of carrot, onion, celery and parsley formulated as "Battuto". As a test I added 1 tsp to a cup of plain tomato sauce, simmered the mix for 15 min, then cooled to room temperate. A taste test against plain sauce was more than I expected. Adding Oomph did exactly that. The mixed sauce had a flavor much richer than plain sauce, comparable or perhaps a little stronger in flavor density than pasta cooking sauce from a jar.

I make and dehydrate "all" of my heated food on backpacking trips, and I intend to add ~1/2 tsp of these blends to most of my meals this year.

The stuff is a little expensive. Each packet is ~$12 and contains 14 teaspoons of milled powder. I found the Battuto packet at one of our higher-end grocery stores, but you can order the stuff online, individually or in various combinations. The best buy seems to be a 3-tsp sampler of each of the 8 blends for $28. It's sold out at the moment, but you can sign up to be notified by email when they get more. I intend to order the sampler as soon as it's back in stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Oomph blends

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just ran into onion powder (no salt) on sale for $1 a bottle, at WinCo yesterday. I mixed it with basil flakes and did not add salt, although you could add as much salt as you wished to make your own "onion salt". Not sure if this is a regular item or not.