High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
norcalhiker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Post by norcalhiker »

copeg wrote:
BSquared wrote:"Sorry it took so long?" TWO DAYS! Holy Criminy, Copeg, you're amazing! Thanks *very* much!
You're welcome, wish I could take credit for two days...over 2 1/2 years since first requested earlier in thread. Man how time flies :D
Copeg, you've unleashed an incredible resource. Thanks for doing all that you do to educate and improve information about the Sierra. This is GREAT.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Lots of additions and updates going on right now (especially to the passes layer) so you (or anyone for that matter) will want to download updates regularly.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

New "Camp Spots" Category

Post by maverick »

Fellow Members,

A new category "Camp Spots" has been added to the list of helpful categories at the top of the HST Map.

We would ask members to please help in building up this new feature, by indicate the exact locations of where you have camped in the Sierra, add GPS co-ordinates when possible, add a description of your route to the site if it is difficult to find, and indicate whether a tent (include make), tarp, hammock, or cowboy style camping methods were used.

Many times we have members requesting information about ideal spots to set-up camp, especially in remote locations, this new feature would be helpful to many in the planning phases of their trips.

This feature should not be solely used for the High Sierra, but should include non-fee areas in NF and BLM areas too.

PS. Please send me your camp spot information, and I will in-put onto the HST Map. Thank you.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jrad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jrad »

tomba wrote:It would be nice to be able to link directly to "USA Topo" map type. Perhaps in a similar way as how Google Maps and gmap4 do it: by adding "&t=<something>" to the URL.
WHY NO Gmap4? [ http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php ]

I use Gmap4 all the time since I learned of it since the resolution is at about 4X (2X linear dimension) the resolution of any previously available online topo mapping.

I used to use topozone years ago until Trails.com got their hands on it and made it super commercial. I've struggled with the full CA set of USGS CDs as well (never got my money's worth while being frustrated by their inherently clumsy use). Then I discovered mapper.acme.com and thought I'd found the ultimate (free!) resource. But a few years later I learned of gmap4 and have not looked back. I still use mapper.acme.com but rarely.

Anyway, it is a bit of a shock to look at the HST topos and find no use of the FAR superior and free(!) gmap4 topo mapping resource. Maybe it isn't essential since one can locate stuff on the HST map and then switch to Gmap4 for closer look. But it adds an extra layer between your info and the best look at your info.

So why? It's free to all.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

It's integrated with the board as another option. Look at the BBCode buttons on the posting window. Also, use the forums search feature and search Gmap4.

And I disagree that Gmap4 is "far superior". All mapping options have their pros and cons and there's far from any agreement on which aspects are one or the other. If you don't like the HST Map....hey, DON'T USE IT. :moon: :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

When looking at or any other pop-up, I need to click the 'X' in the top right corner to close that text box. When looking at several different objects, the boxes build up. Is there a way to close the current text box when another one is selected, or maybe when I click out of the box?
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

Looks like some other stuff got caught in the 13er section. I see "Mungoat Pass", "Lion Pass" and some sort of shading over Silliman Lakes and Timber Pass.

HST Map
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

zacjust32 wrote:Looks like some other stuff got caught in the 13er section. I see "Mungoat Pass", "Lion Pass" and some sort of shading over Silliman Lakes and Timber Pass.

HST Map
Should be fixed - thanks for pointing that out.
zacjust32 wrote:When looking at or any other pop-up, I need to click the 'X' in the top right corner to close that text box. When looking at several different objects, the boxes build up. Is there a way to close the current text box when another one is selected, or maybe when I click out of the box?
Must have missed this when it was posted - small change made to try and constrain it to 1 window at a time. Options can be set to enable multi-window
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

copeg wrote:Must have missed this when it was posted - small change made to try and constrain it to 1 window at a time. Options can be set to enable multi-window
:thumbsup: Very cool
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Could a route width option be imlememted, besides the color option, which is the only one changable currently, similar to Google Earth, it would be useful for drawing in precise routes, where the current option is a bit to wide. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org