High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Post by ERIC »

Nope, no back end changes in quite some time. I'll refresh the template files and see if that helps.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Somehow the www got chopped off the URL, browser thinks this is cross-site iframe and by default won't allow it (try it with www and it should work). PM sent
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Thanks, Greg!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
geoB
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by geoB »

I stumbled on HST recently when looking for current information about mosquitoes - how bad and where. So I joined up and marveled at the active use of the mosquito conditions reports. But as a map fan I wondered why there wasn't any mapping of the reports on the High Sierra Map. And as a retired geek and CalTopo fan I created a sample kml file that shows a range of recent reports on CalTopo. The sample at CalTopo is at https://caltopo.com/m/GKABH.

The kml file uses links to CalTopo so it would likely require permission from CalTopo for use in the High Sierra Map. I'm game to create and maintain a custom kml file for the High Sierra Map if that would be useful. (Full disclosure, I'm new to kml but willing to learn more.)
copeg

Post by copeg »

geoB wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:39 pm I stumbled on HST recently when looking for current information about mosquitoes - how bad and where. So I joined up and marveled at the active use of the mosquito conditions reports. But as a map fan I wondered why there wasn't any mapping of the reports on the High Sierra Map. And as a retired geek and CalTopo fan I created a sample kml file that shows a range of recent reports on CalTopo. The sample at CalTopo is at https://caltopo.com/m/GKABH.

The kml file uses links to CalTopo so it would likely require permission from CalTopo for use in the High Sierra Map. I'm game to create and maintain a custom kml file for the High Sierra Map if that would be useful. (Full disclosure, I'm new to kml but willing to learn more.)
Welcome geoB! There are ways to place those locations onto the HST map, either directly (by inputting them onto the HST map) or indirectly (reading in KML). But this runs up against a problem we had when we first developed the map and started placing markers, paths, and regions within - that of keeping annotations up to date. We found when we tried to keep time sensitive information annotated (such as current conditions), it quickly became very difficult to maintain that information in a way that was understandable and manageable, to the point that it turned into a scenario in which there was a lot of out of date or conflicting information, leading to more questions than answers. Unfortunately no automated way to do this at the moment (always a possibility if one has the time to invest). Love it that you're volunteering to keep things up to date - for now I'd suggest keeping in CalTopo and providing links as you've already done :thumbsup:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi GeoB,

Welcome to HST.

Your suggestion, GeoB, was considered during the development phase of the HST Map. However, upon careful consideration, we concluded that the prevailing circumstances exhibit significant fluctuations, even hourly, particularly on some days, owing to temperature, wind, and other environmental and topographic variables. A scenario exists where a canyon possesses a numerical value of 2, while the next canyon over possesses a value of 4. Similarly, one side of a lake can have a value of 1, while the other has a value of 4. Several dozen evaluations from various backpackers within a square mile pose a significant challenge in interpretation, diminishing the accuracy of the information for anyone intending to plan a trip based on these ratings, not to mention the challenges Copeg mentioned.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
geoB
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by geoB »

Thank you both for your comments. I thought a color-coded visual representation of text reports might be a useful addition, assuming you tried clicking on a placemark.