High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Post by copeg »

maverick wrote:Could a route width option be imlememted, besides the color option, which is the only one changable currently, similar to Google Earth, it would be useful for drawing in precise routes, where the current option is a bit to wide. Thanks
Yes - right now it defaults to 5 pixel width, but an option could be made available to make it as low as 1. Can't guarantee a time frame for implementation. FWIW I recall playing with thinner lines and it much more difficult to click on the line to see the info box (reason why I initially settled on 5)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cool, thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
copeg

Post by copeg »

Line width is now editable. Should be noted that the line width is independent of zoom, and thinner widths may be more difficult to click on to display info box.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

This seems like it ought to be a FAQ, but I can't find it: how can one pick coordinates off the map to use in, say Google Earth? I tried using the "lat" and "lon" numbers provided in the various "embed" URLs, but it kept giving me a location that was not the location marked. In this case I was looking for Rae Col (I think I read somewhere that one can see a use trail to the col using Google Earth), and the coordinates were "lat=36.798152322354355&long=-118.42887056873393," considerably west of the actual location of the col. What am I doing wrong?
—B²
copeg

Post by copeg »

BSquared wrote:This seems like it ought to be a FAQ, but I can't find it: how can one pick coordinates off the map to use in, say Google Earth? I tried using the "lat" and "lon" numbers provided in the various "embed" URLs, but it kept giving me a location that was not the location marked. In this case I was looking for Rae Col (I think I read somewhere that one can see a use trail to the col using Google Earth), and the coordinates were "lat=36.798152322354355&long=-118.42887056873393," considerably west of the actual location of the col. What am I doing wrong?
Strange..I reproduced the issue, then a bit confused tried it again with multiple placemarks without a hitch. Not sure what the issue is but quite possibly a copy past issue (when I copy, extra info comes along for the ride and must be removed for the decimal to degree conversion to be accurate). To avoid all this entirely, I'd recommend downloading the KML file and loading this into google earth. You can download each category of the map using the download icon to the right of each category, then open this file in google earth.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

After a little bit more playing, I figured out my problem: I'd moved the map before I copied the coordinates. I hadn't noticed that when one moves the map, the coordinates change! Doh. :o Downloading the .kml file was a great idea. I hadn't noticed that option before, and I can load a .kml file into MacGPS Pro and thence into my little GPS. Neat.

I do love this map. Thanks so much for all the work you've done on it!
—B²
copeg

Post by copeg »

Glad you got it figured out BSquared.
BSquared wrote:I do love this map. Thanks so much for all the work you've done on it!
You're welcome, and I'm glad you like it :nod: (and thanks to all the contributors/editors up to this point :thumbsup: - wouldn't be where it is without them)
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Hi Greg -

Just letting you know that it appears the HST Map BBCode isn't working properly. Typo?

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ead#unread

ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
copeg

Post by copeg »

Hey Eric
That's strange. It worked an hour ago, and the page the iframe points to still works. Any board/css settings change this afternoon?