Can't get to High Sierra Topix without first logging in

Instead of emailing or PM'ing the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed. If not, rather than emailing or PM'ing us, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and one of the HST team members will address your needs shortly.

Moderators: maverick, copeg, markskor, giantbrookie

Re: Can't get to High Sierra Topix without first logging in

Postby ERIC on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:05 am

sirlight wrote:The “incompleteness” of the site also had me scratching my head and wondering when I first came here. It seemed like just a shell of a site with a great forums section (and great people), but the main page had mostly dead links. Even some of the sponsor links were dead. It really had me wondering who was paying for all this. Now, I don’t even think about any of it, I just participate.

Yep, it's incomplete. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time I used to to spend on keeping up on it. Aside from about $20/year (before taxes) I get from a few Amazon commissions here and there, the cost of the site comes out of my own pocket.
Internet crying, rudeness & emotional diatribe are unattractive. Relax. Enjoy. Respect others. Be humble in sharing of information / learning from others' experiences & views. Give pause & remember that we are all here because of a shared love of a special place. While there are many unique perspectives, we are equally entitled to our own visions of the Sierra experience.

ERIC
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Postby ERIC on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:12 am

I am removing the login requirement on the Backpacking/Hiking/Camping forum. The requirement will remain on the Fishing Hole forum as it was before.

TIFWIW, during the 4 days the setting was in affect 16 new members registered, one of which posted to a thread. In the 4 days prior, only 6 new members registered, one of which posted to a thread. A similar trend was seen when the setting was applied to the Fishing Hole.
Internet crying, rudeness & emotional diatribe are unattractive. Relax. Enjoy. Respect others. Be humble in sharing of information / learning from others' experiences & views. Give pause & remember that we are all here because of a shared love of a special place. While there are many unique perspectives, we are equally entitled to our own visions of the Sierra experience.
ERIC

Postby sirlight on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:23 am

ERIC wrote:Aside from about $20/year (before taxes) I get from a few Amazon commissions here and there, the cost of the site comes out of my own pocket.
Let's keep the site as non-commercial as possible. I am sure most here will agree. Still, I personally have no problem dropping by here and clicking a sponsor link. If I am going to rei.com to buy something anyway, I would rather that purchase help support maintenance of this site. The links need to be valid for this.
sirlight
Topix Regular

Postby ERIC on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:45 am

sirlight wrote:Let's keep the site as non-commercial as possible. I am sure most here will agree. Still, I personally have no problem dropping by here and clicking a sponsor link. If I am going to rei.com to buy something anyway, I would rather that purchase help support maintenance of this site. The links need to be valid for this.

Keeping it as non-commercial as possible has always been the goal. But you're right about needing to take care of the invalid links. Some wont return, such as REI which (I believe) has since done away with its commission program. I think the only ads/commission programs I'll keep are Amazon, MyTopo and CafePress.
ERIC

Postby Mike M. on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Eric, thanks for listening and for making the change back to a more open Hiking/Backpacking forum. Obviously, I prefer it.

Just to explain myself, I misinterpreted your initial reply to my thread -- it sounded to me like you were flashing the proverbial finger my way and didn't really care to hear my "meddling" input. I guess I'll have to take a class on how to read smilies!

The sky is falling today in Portland -- it is raining again.

Mike
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Postby Mike M. on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:03 pm

TIFWIW, during the 4 days the setting was in affect 16 new members registered, one of which posted to a thread. In the 4 days prior, only 6 new members registered, one of which posted to a thread. A similar trend was seen when the setting was applied to the Fishing Hole.

Hardly surprising, since the only way users would have been able to view links was by registering. Tracking overall hits before and after the change would be a more meaningful measure. (No, I'm not suggesting a test!! Let's leave it the way it is, please!)

Mike
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Postby ERIC on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Mike M. wrote:
Hardly surprising, since the only way users would have been able to view links was by registering. Tracking overall hits before and after the change would be a more meaningful measure. (No, I'm not suggesting a test!! Let's leave it the way it is, please!)

Mike

I already ran those numbers, just didn't post:

4 Days Prior to the change
Ave Visits/Day: 645.25
Ave Hits/Day: 22,807.00
Ave Hits/Visit: 35.35

4 Days Following the change
Ave Visits/Day: 678.50
Ave Hits/Day: 23,671.50
Ave Hits/Visit: 34.89
ERIC

Postby ERIC on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Mike M. wrote:Eric, thanks for listening and for making the change back to a more open Hiking/Backpacking forum. Obviously, I prefer it.

Just to explain myself, I misinterpreted your initial reply to my thread -- it sounded to me like you were flashing the proverbial finger my way and didn't really care to hear my "meddling" input. I guess I'll have to take a class on how to read smilies!

The sky is falling today in Portland -- it is raining again.

Mike

We'll let it be water under the bridge.
ERIC

Postby Shawn on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:56 pm

Ave Hits/Day: 23,671.50
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Shawn
Topix Expert

Postby rlown on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm no expert, but statistically insignificant. The missing stat is how many new logins did we have because of the change; ie, people identifying themselves to the forum.

The question that is still there: "Do people really eventually join and share because they see the value?"
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby ERIC on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:21 pm

rlown wrote:I'm no expert, but statistically insignificant. The missing stat is how many new logins did we have because of the change; ie, people identifying themselves to the forum.

The question that is still there: "Do people really eventually join and share because they see the value?"

Right you are. But it's probably impossible to track. I think unique visitors coupled with page views are arguably the most important stats readily available. For uniques we range between 5k to 12k per month depending upon the time of year, coupled with page views, which range between 120k to 250k per month. What that says to me is that those who visit, tend to stick around and spend a considerable amount of time looking through the threads. But it does not separate members from non-members...logged in, or not logged in.

The only way to get a slightly better idea of what affect member-locked threads have on the site would be to run an extended trial (more than just 4 days, for sure).
ERIC

Previous

Return to Technical Problems, Questions, Comments & Suggestions