Posting Photos

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Posting Photos

Post by ERIC »

Dear Admin... I had a closer look at adding images (and presumably photos)
into a PM as failed to be able to show a Snip and Paste of section of a map
re a query in a private message a short while ago.
Reading this in FAQs... "and secondly the image you display must already be
available on the internet (it cannot exist only on your computer for
example, unless you run a webserver!). " ...it sounds like the only way to
put photos or the like into a post or PM is via some kind of online photo
site???
As I do not belong to Facebook or any social networks etc. (a do not want
to really) does this mean that I cannot put photos into a Trip Report
either? I'm asking as, ironically, I'm in the process of getting a new
backpacking camera today so that I can finally put some decent pictures
into a trip report c/o up-coming 10 days planned for August in Silver
Divide area east of Edison.

Sorry if this is a bit long, or I have go the wrong end of the stick re
photos too.

Thanks, @michaelzim
Have a look here http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... .php?t=103 regarding posting photos to threads. They can be uploaded as attachments. There are some file size restrictions to be aware of. Attachments are not permitted in PMs.

A reminder about emailing or sending PMs for tech support...
Website Technical Problems, Questions, Comments & Suggestions
Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check this forum to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Posting Photos

Post by michaelzim »

I somehow blanked out and did not see to use the "Website Technical Problems, Questions, Comments & Suggestions" link...My bad.
Reading the post about photos though, the whole process still looks to be a bit 'fraught with steps & difficulties'! However I will wait until I need to do it before I go wading into it. At least the implication is that it can be done without having an online photo account. Good!

Thanks again Eric, and NO NEED FOR ANY FURTHER RESPONSE HERE. Best ~ Michael
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

@michaelzim

Looking closer at that thread I linked to, it didn't have the post I thought it had. Somewhere on here I posted a thread with instructions and screenshots on how to do it, but for some reason can't find that post now.

To attach photos, below the posting window (down, and left of the Preview and Submit buttons) look for the tab titled "Attachments". It's really pretty easy. Most photos posted to the forums utilize that feature. Post back if you have issues. Here's where people practice posting photos http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... f=17&t=293
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Pretty sure we cannot post pics in PM's.. Otherwise Eric's advice is solid. Make sure you resize your pic to ~1Mb before upload.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

The PM restriction was mentioned in the OP.

Max file size is 2.5MB. Max number of attachments per post is 12.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Re: Posting Photos & Donation add on?

Post by michaelzim »

Eric & rlown ... *(I know there is a way to "notify" that I am "mentioning" you both in a post or PM, but I'm still not familiar enough with the format here to know where to click and how to do that - all to say, I hope this message gets back to you both though the "auto-notification" Divas!)
Thank you both for your help here. I am impressed with the way my little question has got such a response as no doubt looking after a website like HST must be quite an undertaking and take a considerable amount of time!!!

So, at this point I think we have it covered enough re the posting photos thing. I will refer to this thread/PM when I get to the point of actually wanting to post photos when do a Trip Report after return late August. Hoping mightily that we have no repeats of the Rough Fire or horrible smoke disruptions as with this Covid stuff I'm really looking forward to getting away and up into thin air. Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Just an add on here if I may, and no need for yet another response unless you are bored & twiddling thumbs!
In the past I have tried to donate to HST and read the info about no donations over $15, etc. Also recall a "Donations" button too but the link failed to work then. Have been looking again right now to try and find it and see nothing?! Cannot find any Donations buttons at bottom left or anywhere else on the site. I have looked in FAQs and see nothing on it, plus done a search under "Donations HST" where see that in the past there was a button though some reported not seeing it. A bit of a mystery!?

Thanks much ~ Michael (michaelzim)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I think ERIC removed the donation thing.

Still, ERIC pointed you to a test area for photos.. Try it out.. We also like old trip reports as well.

Thumbs twiddling all day..
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

rlown...Ha ha, yeah twiddling thumbs all day unlikely - even though I'm retired, entropy, atrophy, and "property maintenance" seems to be a never ending time sink of requirement...oh and keeping up with technology!

Yes, saw the test for photos thread and will use that when the time comes. Old trip reports possible I guess but better to do right after a return (skipped last year due to health issues and endless mosquitoes up there apparently). Also good photos help and looking like I may have that aspect covered with new camera - which requires a degree in techo-speak to comprehend!!! I figure this thing (Sony RX 100 that I found out about c/o users on HST) has more technical ability than the Apollo 11 module. Maybe by mid August trip I will have it figured out.

OK, that was it, just wanted to acknowledge - I'm old school. Oh, and no need for further response as I guess the Donations thing is moot at present. If I see a tab or button for it, I will click it!

Best. Thank you! ~ Michael M. (michaelzim)