Like button in post fields

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Like button in post fields

Post by SSSdave »

A forum thread feature I believe has value that I've used on a few other forums is a Like button icon for approving what others have posted. It is a feature that was not around during early Internet forum software but is more common today in this era where many no longer visit forums and instead are content with social media sites. Such an icon is usually positioned next to Edit, Quote, Reply buttons. Although one can always post a comment post about another member's input, doing so takes effort, time, and usually must rise to a strong enough level to bother doing. A Like button makes showing approval for what a member inputs fast and painless thus members are far more likely to just bonk the button than starting a reply post. In some cases a person that actuates a Like for a post is merely communicating "Thankyou for posting this" and Original Posters aka OP's and moderators will sometimes actuate a Like simply to encourage input to a discussion. If someone wishes to disapprove of whatever they can still do so in a reply post. When members view a list of posts on a thread, viewing a post with numbers of Likes allows them to better understand how others are feeling about whatever is posted.

The following has several examples of the function on a skiing forum I use. The thread was a fun trivial subject.

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/poll-s ... mets.6138/

David
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Like button in post fields

Post by copeg »

We've discussed this idea in the past and if I remember correctly any implementation of this feature would require a forum software upgrade. As it is currently, an upgrade would require a bit of up-front work to verify it works with the current layout and the upgrade doesn't break anything (eg requires time that is hard to come by these days). It would also in all likelihood cause some forum downtime, so it's something we'd want to do in the off season. At some point in time we will probably have to face an upgrade, and at that time will revisit this idea
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Sure wish I could click LIKE for the Original post in this thread! ;)

But I surely do understand how expensive software modifications can be to upgrade site alterations. IIRC, Eric said there would be a maintenance time in the near future to block all this Russian spam that's getting dumped here lately. Would it be possible to insert the like button at the same time that happens? While I would like the like button (I know, sounds a bit weird-ha), I would like getting these spammers blocked even more, however. That is priority one in my mind. They are a real nuisance.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Greg's correct, and Tom_H's memory is also correct. I've been waiting for November-January (our slowest months) to test out an upgrade. If the test area upgrade works then there would still need to be a live site shutdown for at least a few days to recreate the process. The new forum software does have the like button feature like the examples Dave mentions. There's also an integration plugin I want to test out that supposedly makes template cloning between WordPress (front end) and phpBB (forums) much easier. That was the biggest issue we had to tackle the last time we upgraded.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix