403/Forbidden error

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
rhyang
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

403/Forbidden error

Post by rhyang »

Lately I've been seeing this error when accessing the site from my home Comcast cable modem. I don't have any problems using my phone (LTE) or work laptop (corp VPN), but it does crimp my ability to post trip reports. Anything I should know ?
-Rob

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 403/Forbidden error

Post by rlown »

rhyang wrote:Lately I've been seeing this error when accessing the site from my home Comcast cable modem. I don't have any problems using my phone (LTE) or work laptop (corp VPN), but it does crimp my ability to post trip reports. Anything I should know ?
-Rob

Can you reproduce the error and is it random or on certain areas. If you can add a screen shot when the error occurs, it probably helps Eric and team.
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

The error is very consistent, and only occurs on my cable modem. Anything connected via my Wifi router to that cable modem gets the same error. Here are some examples:

Trying to access the home page at "http://highsierratopix.com/" :
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Trying to access the Fishing Hole at "http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... um.php?f=6"
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /community/viewforum.php on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
The IP address of my cable modem is 73.162.80.99 (just asked Google). Right now I am posting using my work computer (bad precedent :) ) via VPN, which uses an entirely different IP address (through the corporate network I guess).

Is my home IP address blocked ? If one of the machines attached to my home router was hacked and turned into a spambot, then I have a feeling I would know by now :)
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Made a change...give it a try when you get home and let us know. I've seen it happen (albeit rarely) where we block IP's belonging to problematic bots (spam, crawlers, etc..), but the bots spoof their IP (or get assigned a dynamic one) that later is used by legit people.
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

That seems to have done the trick, thanks !
copeg

Post by copeg »

rhyang wrote:That seems to have done the trick, thanks !
Good to hear.
aerosim
Topix Newbie

Post by aerosim »

I've been having the same problem lately ... works fine from my cell phone, but not on my PC's. The only difference is that I tether my cell phone to the PC's.

I get the exact same 403 error. Is there any way to fix it?
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

My home IP seems to be blocked again. Same address as before (73.162.80.99). Posting from my phone :)

Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I get it occasionally. Usually I try again and get in. Once or twice it was because I'd cleaned out cookies and wasn't logged in.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Ok, made a few small changes...let us know how it goes.