Site layout broken

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Site layout broken

Post by fishmonger »

ERIC wrote:Yes, and it seems mostly on select "old" systems. But the Android issue is perplexing for sure. Has that issue been resolved for you? We have a test/demo version that I'm reviewing to see if it's any different than the current install. If it is, then that means the issues are probably related to PHP, etc. versioning on the new web host server and there's not much we can do about it other than to ask that folks update their system/browser environments.
I can test again tomorrow when I get back there. The system is at work, totally up to date and with most likely the same version of Chrome and IE as the one I am using here. I also have access to additional systems (another Win7 and a current Mac) to compare.

The system that complains is on Server 2008 R2, although I have never been able to isolate the OS as a reason for issues I could not replicate on other platforms. It is essentially win7 64-bit once you install the "desktop experience." And as I stated, it never had these problems before with your forum. There are errors I can see in the console on Win7 as well, but somehow that computer seems to digest them and properly render the background div.

Both systems, the laptop that works and the server OS desktop that displays the layout issues, run a large hosts file to block ads and other stuff, so it can't be any of that either, as they are very much up to date with that and will simply not load half the internets trackers and ads inserts. None of that should break the page layout anyway. The work system blocks 3rd party cookies more aggressively (always block unless I choose to allow) than the laptop, but I can't imagine that that would have any impact on how the header on a forum page renders the html.

Interesting that there was a change - the original post showed what happened first, then my second screenshot set shows how it improved after reloading a day later. So things were changing along the way, and I understand you made some changes between those two screenshots.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

fishmonger wrote:Interesting that there was a change - the original post showed what happened first, then my second screenshot set shows how it improved after reloading a day later. So things were changing along the way, and I understand you made some changes between those two screenshots.
All I did was purge the sessions table of the DB and purged the cache and forum cookies.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Teresa Gergen wrote:In Chrome, everything looks fine until I log in, and then I still get screens that look like fishmonger's screenshots.
What version of Chrome are you using, and on what OS? When you say you're using the full site version on Android, do you mean on a phone or tablet? Is the display including the mobile version of the nav menu (top right, button drop-down menu)? It's display size dependent, so there's no way I'm aware of to force the site to show the full size version if your display size is small enough (even if on a computer).
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

There are two errors I see with the latest Chrome and FireFox browsers. Screen attached. Look to the right side of the screen. This happens not logged in or logged in or on any page.

But the pages are still functional and present/operate correctly on my Win10/Chrome system.

The .main_menu error disappeared in the last few minutes.

Capture2.JPG
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Unexpected token is new, the other just below it has been there for many months. Main_menu error has been resolved.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

How about now? Just noticed that for whatever reason your profile, and only your profile, was using a different template. Switching that is an option in your profile but I had thought I had the ability for users to switch turned off. Perhaps something happened during the transfer. Who knows...
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Great! Glad we were able to work though that issue. Thank you for that final screenshot. Very helpful.