Site layout broken

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Site layout broken

Post by fishmonger »

Keeps happening to me in various browsers and at different times. Today, it was broken, then it worked, now it is broken again. What am I talking about?

in IE11 and Chrome

F12 debug in IE11 tells me this

Tons of exceptions just typing here in the editor. I have seen this on two totally different systems.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: Site layout broken

Post by ERIC »

Thanks for bringing this to my attention (and for the great screenshots! very helpful!).

Can you please purge your browser(s) cache, cookies, etc. and check again? I've done the same with all HST templates on the site host end and hopefully that does the trick. Please let me know either way.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I had the same problem in Safari. Go into View and select Reload Page. That cleaned it up for me.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

OK, I tried something else. Please flush your browser cache, history, etc. again on your computer and phone and see if the problem is fixed.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

reload only clears it up so much. I ran two incognito/in private sessions (which is equal to dumping your cache) and this is what it looks like in chrome and IE11, which is equal to what I get when reloading the view I posted earlier:

The above is on Windows Server 2008 R2. Interesting thing is that on my Win7 laptop and in Chrome on Windows XP (yes, I still have that, too) , everything looked normal last night.

I am also still getting all the script errors I saw yesterday. The most frequent are when typing in the edtor in IE11 - this pops up with every keystroke unless you tell it to never come back:

ERIC

Post by ERIC »

OK, thanks for continuing to work through this. I have another idea that I'll play with this weekend. In the meantime, IE11... Really? :p
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

ERIC wrote:OK, thanks for continuing to work through this. I have another idea that I'll play with this weekend. In the meantime, IE11... Really? :p
same happens in Chrome. Identical behavior, just a far more cluttered debug screen
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

I'm not seeing the same in Chrome.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

thing is, this only happens on select systems. Fine in all browsers here on this laptop. It was fine everywhere before the site outage, though. Something changed for sure.