Old threads stay on back pages

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Old threads stay on back pages

Post by SSSdave »

Have noticed if one responds anew to a thread that has dropped off the front page, that it won't reappear back on page 1. Noticed that behavior before but didn't bother to complain. Normally on web forums if one sorts threads by Posts, Ascending, <long enough period of time>, the software will push the latest post to the top of the listing. HST does so on page 1 threads but seems to leave threads in back pages where they are. Or are older threads ignored for the sake of sorting after a certain number of days? I played around with the sorting parameters but no change.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Old threads stay on back pages

Post by ERIC »

Dave - can you link me to an example thread so I can have a look?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Dave, your post from 10/1 is there for me sorted by date. I didn't change sorting. Page 1, when using "view active topics."
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

I thought you might be talking about that topic. The issue I think you're having, as near as I can tell anyway, is that the thread you linked sorts below stickied topics (and there are a number of stickied topics in that forum). Stickied topics are designed to stay at the top even if more recent activity occurs under regular topics. They're common practice on all forums I'm familiar with. Only admins/mods can sticky a topic. We sticky topics that for various reasons have particular interest and that the admin/mod team want to draw attention to. For example, the 2015 Mosquito Reports thread, threads pertaining to missing hikers, etc.

Additional info: faq.php#f3r6

If that's not the problem please let me know and I'll investigate further. Your comment about these topics staying on "back pages" makes me unsure whether or not this was the issue.

Cheers,
ERIC
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Note the sticky posts am well familiar with what they are about.

Never noticed the choices at Board index level:
View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics

Not sure what they do at this point? OK played around with each and now see they are what I would expect for each term. Obviously have always been using "View active topics" so that isn't the issue. My settings at bottom have been

Display topics from previous:
All Topics

Sort by
Post Time

Descending

You related you are sorting by "Date"? What I see listed is:
Author
Post Time
Replies
Subjects
Views

Assume by Date you mean Post Time? What I see is that thread remains on page 2. If I change to View new posts mode, it does list the thread by date sequence but as soon as I return to that sub-forum directly it remains on page 2. So there appears to be something different going on when you as the admin view versus I as a member view. You might try and go in at a member level and bump one of the older threads.

David
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Yes, latest post time aka time stamp of the most recent post to the thread.

Have you ever tinkered with these settings in your User Control Panel? ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view

My settings are default; top portion all set to "yes", then All Topics, Post Time, Descending, All Posts, Post Time, Ascending. Are yours different from this? I do have regular accounts for testing purposes and I'm not seeing what you're describing. If the above doesn't help, could you please post some screenshots?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

hst_ucp1.jpg
Yes I've tinkered the the Control Settings in the past but too long ago to recall when what why how. Yeah my settings are exactly like yours. Note I've been seeing this same behavior a long time and simply never bothered to mention it. In my decades old career I troubleshoot all manner of electronic hardware and software issues and in fact hand coded all the html on my website.

Probably the easiest thing to do is for me to temporarily change my password to something, give it to you, and then have you log in as me to see what it looks like. Can then change it back later. Lets see? Will change it to the name of the new movie I saw Saturday:

Also would be useful to understand if I am the only one with the issue or if there are others with same behavior.
You could identify an older post in this Technical... forum for us to play with. I could post something then we could see what occurs.

David
Attachments
hst_bp2.jpg
hst_ucp2.jpg
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

The reason is because the topic was moved from one forum to another which is what the icon with the arrow symbolizes (notice it is different than the others). What you're seeing is a shadow topic, or, link to the new location. Shadow topics don't get bumped. Before someone asks, yes, we could just do away with shadow topics but then there'd be an increased need to deal with people upset because they 'think' we deleted their post when all we did was move it. Tried it before and that happened.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

So a shadow topic is one with an arrow icon. Will remember that haha. And some people complain about them if moved from where they get plunked down at maybe because the link confuses them if the thread moves around in the new forum. Thanks Eric.