Go for a virtual run in Yosemite

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Go for a virtual run in Yosemite

Post by ERIC »

Go for a virtual run in Yosemite, hear your own footsteps

February 26, 2010 | Nadia Majid
Venture Beat
http://venturebeat.com/2010/02/26/go-fo ... footsteps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you ever thought how cool it would be if your treadmill could take you on a virtual jog through nature so you could watch something more scenic than the gym wall while you run? Well, your day is coming.

Virtual Active, which lets you access a library of running, hiking, and biking workouts filmed live in beautiful outdoor locations, is releasing a free half hour sample of its virtual exercise experience for download on iTunes on March 1.

Virtual Active is also working with cardio equipment manufacturer Johnson Health Tech, the #4 manufacturer of cardio equipment, and The Indoorcycling Group, a leading European indoor cycling company. Johnson’s 7xe line of Matrix Cardio equipment will automatically adjust the treadmill incline to mimic the terrain in the video, adjust the speed of video playback based on the user’s running speed, and provide on-location nature audio (in the case of cardio-enabled downloads, the video would not be able to provide such interactivity). In addition, these manufacturers plan to introduce SyncStep, which will allow users to hear the sounds of [read more...]
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Go for a virtual run in Yosemite

Post by Hetchy »

I love it! I remember back in the early days of digital cameras I had this wacky idea to take a photo every few seconds while hiking a trail. Then reassemble a timelapse video from the images. I never did follow up on that but it looks like someone had an even better idea. Hey this could be a great way to let folks incapable of hiking explore our trails and natural parks. I know virtual stuff is always second best to the real thing but if there was NO other option for someone it might be enlightening and uplifting. I think it's a great idea. Now if only I could catch a virtual trout and fry it up in my virtual pan and eat it for real.. Okay, perhaps not. :D
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Go for a virtual run in Yosemite

Post by BSquared »

Throw the whole thing into a hypobaric chamber linked to the virtual altitude, and then you'd really have something!
—B²