0 to 9.5 in 8 hours.

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

0 to 9.5 in 8 hours.

Post by JM21760 »

Well, I've been pretty sedate for a year. 2 hip replacements, and a bad back has had me laid up for a year. I started a new job 2 days ago in a very large store. (You can probably guess which one.) I popped on a pedometer because I knew I was going to be covering some ground. After a year of just walking around the house, and getting fat and lazy, I put in 9.5 miles yesterday. I think it's great, but I am a bit sore today. I'm already thinking backpacking this summer. It's been a few years, but if I do 9 or 10 miles a day at work, I should be able to do a few miles in the hills.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Whoa, that's a lot of mileage in 8 hours. Glad to see you are 'on the mend'. I think I'd be lucky to get a single mile in during one workday. More power to ya!

No doubt the mountains will be glad to have you back. :)
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Sheesh, about the only exercise I get is pacing up and down in front of the class! (Well, if you count flicking my eyes across the computer screen, I supposed it could add up to some miles.) We stayed with a friend for a while during the holidays and I took her dog for a 7 1/4 mile walk -- made me *very* sore.... oh, the hiking days are obvious very far away!
JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

Another 6.75 miles today. Sweeping a 200K sq. ft. cavern. I just might be able to do a peak this summer. Dana, or something not too difficult. Still sore though. I saved some Vicodin from the surgery, so......... I'm sleeping well! :unibrow:
JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

11.57 miles today. OK, that's enough out of me.