IT band pain when backpacking?

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
Poopah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

IT band pain when backpacking?

Post by Poopah »

Anyone else experience this when backpacking? Got back yesterday from a 4 day trip and spent 3 of them hobbling. I've had it in both knees and in my hip once. Coming down the Bay View trail with a pack was no fun yesterday. Would like to find a way to avoid it in the future. Thx.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Re: IT band pain when backpacking?

Post by ridgeline »

I use a foam roll to elliminate this, check out myofacial release and IT band, very painfull at first but really helps.
JMat
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JMat »

I've had this problem for years because of an overuse injury when I used to run cross country in high school.

For me there's no sure thing but I do have a bit of a regimine that helps me though...

First of all I start taking aspirin about a week before and continue to take it twice a day during my trip. Second, I don't sleep on my side when I'm out because it flares up my hip. And finally... Stretch Stretch Stretch.

This doesn't necessarily mean it won't flare up but it sure does help me out. Just did Mt Whitney and other than some bareable pain everything was OK.

Hope this helps.

JMat
Poopah
Topix Acquainted

Post by Poopah »

Thanks all. Got the foam roller, now just trying to find the band. Likely have to order it online.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

The myofascial release technique with a foam roller that ridgeline mentions is probably the most effective way to deal with IT band pain on your own. However, unless you carry a foam roller with you on backpacking trips, it's not going to help you during your trip. The most common reasons for IT band problems are overuse and/or an imbalance in the muscles of the hip. IT band tightness usually involves overactivity of the Tensor Fascia Lata, or TFL muscle. If you have an imbalance, you most likely have weak or underactive glutes. You need to work your butt! You also may have tight hip flexors that can exacerbate the problem.

One more thing you might want to check is where your backpack's hip belt sits. If it is too low or not padded enough, it may be digging into your TFL, and that's a sure way to get that guy aggravated. Take a look at an anatomy chart, and you will see what I mean. Make sure that the backpack you use is rated for the load you carry, otherwise you may be putting more weight on the hip belt than it can comfortably handle.