Stretching?

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
Beavis
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Stretching?

Post by Beavis »

Do any of you stretch before hiking?

Never thought of it until I started having pain where my ankle meets my heel last year. A personal trainer had remarked earlier that my calves appeared to be tight. Don't know if the two are related but it got me thinking.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stretching?

Post by maverick »

Dynamic stretching before and static stretching/yoga after, though the newest reports
I last read said that you should not do any static stretching after a hike lasting more than
4 hrs, but wait till later until your muscles have had time to relax otherwise you could
injure yourself.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stretching?

Post by copeg »

I usually stretch lightly before and also during a hike. Usually calfs, quads, and hammies are what I concentrate on, with other stretches here and there. Also, during longer hikes when I take breaks I sometimes lay back and put my feet way up above my body (sometimes against a tree, other times just on my pack or a rock).