How does everyone keep in shape?

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
toejam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: How does everyone keep in shape?

Post by toejam »

I run ~ 4 miles on Pismo Beach a couple times a week. It can barely be considered a workout cuz it's so much fun. But it keeps me feeling young. I also do some light weights. This works really well for me.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

One thing I do that has seemed to help with leg strength is making the most out of my stairs at work. I go up and down a 15 step flight of stairs to and from my office probably 30 - 50 times a day.
Unless I am in a super hurry I go down the stairs slowly, lowering down each step to land on my heel - has really helped those downhill muscles. For going up, I step up without pushing off with the back foot but raising up only using the leg on the upper step, and then sometimes doing that two steps at a time. Sometimes I go up sideways like side-stepping up a snow bank or hill.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I do 21 perfect push ups every morning, arms vertical and directly under the shoulders, torso and legs straight as a board. Slow down then slow up. My wife says this is a yoga move but I how would I know? Then I ride my bike to work which involves one short hill climb. I am lucky enough to live near some great bicycle paths and within 5 miles of work and shopping. I use to be a runner, but no more, it really started to make my knees sore so I stopped. As I get older I need to choose exercises that will not do damage, is relaxing but will still stir up the endorphins at the end of a session and is a part of my daily routine. Of course there is no better way to stay in shape for hiking than actually doing a hike, so the weekend involves at least one good long beach walk. I summited Whitney in August and turn 60 this month so it must be working for me.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

After 2 1/2 years of shoulder surgeries (4) and rehab, yesterday I took my first bike ride since then. What a great feeling it was. It felt so normal, like I had just gone last week. I have to be badly out of shape but didn't feel like it today. Despite all this and the Cancer I have, I plan on a full recovery. Why wouldn't I. I played 18 innings of senior softball today (I was 9 for 12 --- who knows what that means?)
Knowing what great people backpackers are I'm sure that virtually all of you are pulling for me. Thanks! I believe most of you would have the same positive attitude I do.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Gosh, it was bad enough for me to recover from just one shoulder surgery, let alone 4 + cancer. Great to hear of your progress! Hang in there.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Hapkido
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I swim seven miles a week. Good cardio and a thorough work out for arms, shoulders and legs, plus easy on the joints.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

How do I stay in shape?

I don't...
I get fat...
lazy...
aches and pains...
Then hit the Sierra totally unprepared and have a great time.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Rogue, I've done it that way and I've done it the opposite and I've done it in between, lots times for each. Getting in really good shape is lots of work but when summer comes (especially the potential we have this year) it's LOTS more fun being in good shape, at least for me and if you never try you'll never know if it's worth the effort.
I believe that research has shown that getting in good shape is a method that follows: It's not significant extensive grueling hard work (like backpacking) that creates good shape but instead is lots of consistent work at a moderate level over a longer period of time (like riding a bycycle 10-20 miles a day, 3-5 days a week for several months). By the way, I tried it and sure enough it worked for me.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

I stretch, do push ups, crunches, chin-ups and run 3 miles and at least 5 days a week sometimes more. Before a big hike I will add 1 hour of bicycling to the running. It's all about the caridovascular for me. It's really not a good idea to show up fat and out of shape before a serious Sierra hike.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;