How does everyone keep in shape?

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: How does everyone keep in shape?

Post by KathyW »

John: Thanks for suggestion to get my thyroid checked. It comes at a good time. I swore off doctors a number of years ago, but I've now reached the point where I think it might be a good idea to get checked out; so I'll mention the thyroid to the doctor at my appointment in a couple weeks.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

A yearly blood workup isn't a bad idea either. It's fairly well covered if you have insurance, and you can research results yourself if not trusting of Doctors. Best to find a doctor you like though.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I used to do gym stuff because it was time efficient when I worked. Now that I am retired, I have plenty of time to backpack a lot, all year round! That is how I now keep in shape. And now with a dog, I walk the dog a lot. Not sure that does much for strength, but it does wonders for keeping down excess weight. And believe it or not, running after grandkids helps too! Every time I do my spring training "death march" I think I am going to perform worse each passing year, yet, amazingly, I am holding steady, thank goodness. As for doctors, next year when I get on Medicare I can finally get a real physical. For now, I have to pay for all that stuff myself. As years go by, and family situations change, I think all of us have stretches of not being able to go backpacking much. I think as long as you stay fairly active, even if it seems non-athletic, and watch your diet, you can quite easily get back into really good shape once you again have more time for yourself. Don't give up!